PCB Editor - Models
Parent page: PCB Preferences
The PCB Editor - Models page of the Preferences dialog.
As its name suggests, the PCB Editor – Models page of the Preferences dialog provides numerous controls relating to Models within the PCB workspace.
The PCB Editor – Models page is part of the main Preferences dialog (DXP » Preferences) and is accessed by clicking the Models entry under the PCB Editor folder, in the left-hand pane of the dialog.
Model Search Path
- List Paths - Lists all folders that will be defaulted to when linking 3D STEP model files via the 3D Body dialog. You could consider these folders "watched," in that software monitors changes to STEP files (*.stp, *.step) in them.
- Edit Path - Click to browse for a folder, via the Browse for Folder dialog, in which Altium Designer will search for 3D STEP model files. Once the folder is found, add it to the Model Search Path folder list using the Add button.
Whenever you link or embed a STEP model to a component footprint or PCB document, the folders listed in the Model Search Path list are defaulted to. The idea of using common or central depositories for STEP model files can be beneficial, particularly in multi-user environments.
- Add - Click to add the folder currently displayed in the browse bar to the Model Search Path folder list.
- Delete - Click to remove the currently selected folder from the Model Search Path folder list.
Temporary Mesh Data
- Edit Mesh Directory - Click to browse for a folder, via the Browse for Folder dialog, in which software will store 3D model mesh data.
Mesh data is calculated for display purposes when a 3D model is first used or created. This data is saved, to be used whenever that model is required again. Storing mesh data in this way can improve system performance when working in the 3D workspace.
- Time to Keep Unused Mesh Data- Click to view and select a maximum period of time (in days) for the system to store 3D model mesh data since its last use before deleting it. Mesh data is calculated for display purposes when a 3D model is first used or created. This data is saved, to be used whenever that model is required again. Storing mesh data in this way can improve system performance when working in the 3D workspace. Available options are:
- Clean Directory - Click to immediately empty the folder used to store temporary 3D model mesh data.
If you'd like to comment on the content on this page, use the Ctrl+Enter
keyboard shortcut to send us your feedback. To include a section of the page in your comment (a typo, missing/wrong info, or incorrect imagery), highlight the text (max. 200 chars) and/or image first. Please restrict your feedback to documentation issues - for technical assistance refer to the Altium Forums