Parent page: Accessing, Defining & Managing System Preferences
The System - Account Management page of the Preferences dialog
The System – Account Management page of the Preferences dialog provides controls to configure your Altium account. Altium Designer includes various on-demand style features, made available to you upon signing
into your Altium account through the secure Altium portal. Such features include on-demand licensing, automatic software updates, retrieval of updated exchange rates for use with live links to suppliers, and streamlined activation of Standalone
licensing. These features are all offered in accordance with a singular underlying vision - to enhance your productivity by delivering the information you need, when and where you need it.
This page is accessed by clicking Account Management under the System folder in the main Preferences dialog (accessed by clicking the button in the top right corner of the workspace).
Altium Designer includes features to enhance your productivity by bringing information to you on-demand. Whenever a connection to any of these services is made, information about you and your PC may be gathered to identify you and deliver the right services.
Information collected by Altium will not be shared with any third parties.
When you use a feature that connects Altium Designer to the on-demand services, Altium may collect the following information:
- MAC Addresses: Altium uses a computer's MAC address to identify a PC. If you sign in on multiple computers, each sign in request will be recorded uniquely.
- HDD serial numbers: Along with the MAC addresses, this information provides a robust way to identify a PC for licensing purposes.
- Altium Designer version: Altium uses the software version to differentiate between products so that the correct services can be delivered for each product.
Altium does not, and shall not, read or gather any information about the designs or files you use within Altium Designer.
All connections to the Altium portal through Altium Designer are secure. Along with the information that is gathered, information that you enter will also be communicated in requests to Altium's portal. When data is recorded with Altium's portal,
the data will include a time stamp showing when the data was recorded.
How we use the information
The information gathered by Altium is used to provide you with the correct services that can be delivered for your product. Altium may also use the information for internal reviews and analysis in order to improve our products and services.
We will not disclose your individual information to any third party and will not sell, trade or rent that information for marketing purposes. If we need to disclose any information to conform to any laws or legal process we will do so in a manner
so as to provide the maximum amount of protection legally possible for such information.
Should you not wish to receive the benefits that these services bring, Altium makes it readily possible to disconnect from its on-demand services.
Would you like to connect with Altium?
- Yes, I would like to allow connections to Altium's on-demand services - by enabling this option you are allowing Altium Designer to connect with Altium over its secure portal whenever you want to access one of Altium's on-demand
services. Enabling this option does not mean you are instantly and constantly connected to Altium, nor does it mean we are constantly gathering your information. Connection is only made at the time you actually use one of the on-demand-style features
that require connection to Altium (through the portal). For example, to sign in to your account from within Altium Designer and manage extensions and updates, you use a feature that requires connection with Altium – which is only possible
if you have enabled this option to allow such a connection. Data may be gathered at the time of using an on-demand service to ensure that you are provided with the right service for you.
- No, I wish to remain disconnected from Altium - by enabling this option, your installation of Altium Designer will stay completely disconnected from Altium. While disconnected, you will not be able to access or use any of the on-demand
services that require a connection with Altium. In essence, this option is a 'full off' switch, with the trade off of not being able to use any of Altium's on-demand services.
Account Sign in
- User Name - enter your user name in this field. This is the user name created when your Altium Designer Account Credentials were created.
- Password - enter your Altium Designer Account password in this field.
- Sign me in when I start Altium Designer - enable this option to automatically be signed in to your account when you start the software.
Altium Account Management Servers
When you sign in to your account, you do so through an Altium portal. On the Altium side, a portal is simply a secure connection to a specific Altium Account Management Server.
- Location - enter the required portal. The default portal is portal365.altium.com.