PCB Editor - General
Modified by Jason Howie on Apr 11, 2017
Parent page: PCB Preferences
The PCB Editor - General page of the Preferences dialog.
As its name suggests, the PCB Editor – General page of the Preferences dialog provides numerous controls relating to the General Setting of PCB Editor within the PCB workspace.
The PCB Editor – General page is part of the main Preferences dialog (DXP » Preferences) and is accessed by clicking the General entry under the PCB Editor folder, in the left hand pane of the dialog. Alternatively, right click the PCB Editor and select Options » Preferences from the context menu.
- Online DRC - Enable to have software monitor all PCB design rules interactively as you work and immediately highlight any rule violations. If this option is disabled, design rule violations will not be highlighted as you work. Violations will only be highlighted when you manually run a Design Rule Check.
- Snap To Center - Enable to have the cursor jump automatically to a defined reference point on the object when you select it and be "held" by that point as you reposition it. When moving a free pad or via, the cursor will snap to the center of the object. When moving a component, the cursor snaps to the reference point of the component. When moving a track segment, the cursor snaps to the vertex point. If this option is disabled, objects will be "held" by the point at which you click on them.
- Smart Component Snap - Enable so that when you click to select a component, the cross hair cursor appears on the nearest pad of this associated component in respect to where the cursor is. Disable this option so that the cross hair cursor always appears on the pad reference point of this component when it is clicked on.
- Snap to Room Hot Spots - Enable to have the cursor jump to the room hot spots.
- Double Click Runs Inspector - Enable to open the PCB Inspector panel instead of the design object's properties dialog when you double-click on a design object. Disable this option if you want to see the design object's properties dialog when you double-click on a design object.
- Remove Duplicates - Enable to check for and remove duplicate primitives when the system is preparing data for output. Enable this option when outputting to a vector device, such as a pen plotter or a vector photo-plotter.
- Confirm Global Edit - Enable to have a confirmation dialog appear before committing a global editing action, including stating the number of objects that will be affected by the action. Using the confirmation dialog, you can cancel the global edit if necessary. If this option is disabled, global editing changes will be made as soon as you click the OK button in a global editing dialog.
- Protect LockedObjects - Enable to ignore any selected locked objects if they are part of a selection that is being moved.
- Confirm Selection Memory Clear - Enable this option and a confirmation dialog will pop if you want to clear the selection memory.
- Click Clears Selection - Enable this option to clear current selection by clicking with the left button of the mouse.
- Shift Click To Select - Enable to force using the Shift key to select specific primitives as specified by the Primitives list. Click the Primitives button to access the list. Disable this option and you can select a primitive normally.
- Smart Track End - Smart track ends will recalculate the nets so that they come from the track end rather than the shortest distance.
- Display popup selection dialog - Enable to use the Popup Selection dialog in the PCB editor when selecting co-located objects. The Popup Selection dialog helps users more easily select an object located in a 'stack' of overlapping objects (typically across different layers).
Space Navigator Options
- Disable Roll - Check this option to disable the Space Navigator function.
- Always repour polygons on modification - Enable to automatically repour polygons which have been modified.
File Format Change Report
- Disable opening the report from older versions - Enable to NOT create a report when an older Altium Designer PCB file format document is opened. The report informs you that the document was created in an older version of the software and provides some information on features of the opened document that may be lost or have changed. This option is disabled by default.
- Disable opening the report from newer versions - Enable to NOT create a report when a newer PCB file format is loaded in Altium Designer. The report informs you that the document was created in a newer version of the software and provides some information on features of the opened document that may be lost or have changed. By default this option is disabled.
- Undo/Redo - Shows the current number of previous operations can be undone/redone, each of which is stored in a "stack", latest - first. Edit this field to define the number of "undos" possible. Set the field to zero to empty the Undo/Redo stack or disable the undo feature.
- Rotation Step - Shows the amount of rotation, in degrees, applied to objects floating on the cursor when the Spacebar is pressed. Edit this field to change the angle (default is 90°). Minimum angular resolution is 0.001°. Pressing the Spacebar when an object is floating on the cursor rotates the object by the set number of degrees in an anti-clockwise direction. Hold the Shift key while pressing the Spacebar to rotate in a clockwise direction.
- Cursor Type- Define the shape of the "action" cursor here. This cursor is displayed whenever you perform any editing action (such as placing or moving and object). Click to view and select a cursor type from the list. Available cursors are:
Small 90 - Small crosshair cursor angled at 90° (eg. +). This is the default.
Large 90 - Cursor consists of intersecting horizontal and vertical lines spanning the width of the screen.
Small 45 - Same as
Small 90 except that the cross-hair lines are at a 45° (e.g., X).
- Comp Drag - Shows how connected tracks are handled when you drag a component. To drag a component, select Tools | Move | Drag from the menus and then click on the component you wish to drag. Click to view and select an option from the list. Available options are:
None - When you drag a component, only the component moves. Any attached tracks will be disconnected and left in place.
Connected Tracks - When you drag a component, any connected tracks will remain attached to the component.
Paste from other applications
- Preferred Format - use this field to choose from the following options when pasting from external applications:
- Metafile - Processes Windows enhanced metafile data, however, if there is no enhanced metafile content, any Unicode text data will be processed.
- Text - Processes Unicode text data and discards any enhanced metafile data, however, if there is no Unicode text content, any enhanced metafile data will be processed.
Choose one of the following methods for collaboration:
- Shared file - Select a server path through which engineers can collaborate.
- Server Path - Click the 'folder' icon on the right to select the server path for collaboration.
- DXP App Server - Alternately, select this option to allow engineers to collaborate through the DXP App Server.
Metric Display Precision
- Digits- Shows the number of significant digits to the right of the decimal point to display when showing metric values. The last digit will be rounded as required, however, calculations within the system are always performed at the base system resolution. Eg. if the initial value was calculated as "5.254667", the display would show:
- "5.255" @ 3 digit precision;
- "5.2547" @ 4 digit precision;
- "5.25467" @ 5 digit precision.
Move Rooms Options
- Ask when moving rooms containing No Net/Locked Objects - Check this option and a confirmation dialog will pop up when you try to move rooms without Net/Locked Objects.
Found an issue with this document? Highlight the area, then use Ctrl+Enter to report it.