Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to add a new comment thread to a selected component in the active document. Comments are a feature associated with Managed Projects, and allow all working on a document to comment and review the design (or part thereof) in real-time, without actual modification of the document itself.
The commenting feature facilitates strong review and collaboration processes. Due to server nature of comments (they are stored on the server and do not touch the design document in any way) they become invaluable when:
- You want to point out some issues in document, without physically merging and getting conflicts.
- You want to add a comment which will became visible to everybody instantly, prior to commiting your working copy.
- You want to have list of notes for you current design, that are attached to areas of the document and could be closed as the design matures (similar to a todo list).
This command can be accessed from the Schematic Editor, when a component is selected in the workspace, by:
- Choosing the Place » Comment command from the main menus.
- Using the Ctrl+Alt+C keyboard shortcut.
- Right-clicking in the workspace, and choosing either the Comment, or Place » Comment command, from the context menu.
After launching the command, the Comments panel will appear, ready to enter a new comment. Simply type your comment, then either click the Comment button beneath, or press Ctrl+Enter. The comment will be commited, appearing in the panel, and also in the workspace, linked to the component by a reference line. A rectangular bounding line is drawn around the component, encompassing its footprint (including pads) and designator.
- When a comment is added, it is seen instantly by all other users that have that same Managed Project and document open in their respective wporkspaces.
- The Comments panel will track the entire thread of a specific comment, whereas only the latest comment in that thread is displayed in the workspace.
- The active/selected comment on the Comments panel is highlighted. In the workspace, that active/selected comment is distinguished through the visibility of its reference line.
- You can move a comment around in the workspace, only in terms of the area in which the text is displayed. The reference line simply extends from the bounding line around the component, to the text area.
- You can collapse a comment in the workspace. Simply click on the small triangle at the top-left of the textual area.
- The display and appearance of comments on a schematic sheet is controlled from the Collaboration region, on the System - Altium Vault page of the Preferences dialog. To turn off display of comments in the workspace - relying on just the Comments panel - disable the Show Comment Threads option. Other controls in the region relate to the look and feel of the comment, and its reference line respectively.