Parent page: Global Sharing
In support of Altium 365's Global Sharing paradigm, Altium NEXUS supports the ability to share your design projects with others, anywhere around the world, directly from within the software. This complements the ability to share designs from within the browser-based Altium 365 platform itself. The following levels of sharing are supported from within Altium NEXUS:
- Sharing of an actual design - the live (or WIP) design itself, which can be shared:
- With other members of your Workspace team - for editing and/or viewing. Sharing at this level requires both registration with AltiumLive and active subscription for your Altium NEXUS licensing. You also need to be connected to your Altium 365 Workspace. An invited team member can view the design through Altium NEXUS, or through the Altium 365 Platform Interface. Editing is performed only through Altium NEXUS.
- With people outside of your Workspace team - for viewing and commenting only, through email invite. Sharing at this level requires both registration with AltiumLive and active subscription for your Altium NEXUS licensing. You also need to be connected to your Altium 365 Workspace. This allows invited stakeholders to view a live, work-in-progress design project from any web browser, anywhere in the world, without gaining access to your full server of design data. As the relevant members of your Workspace team make changes to the design and commit them, those changes can be viewed 'live' by those external people. And this functionality is delivered through the platform, but outside of your Altium 365 Workspace, so all that's needed is registration with AltiumLive to gain access.
- Sharing of a design 'snapshot' - a static snapshot of the design at a particular point in time and shared:
- By link - available to anyone through a Web browser. Sharing at this level requires neither active subscription for your Altium NEXUS licensing, nor registration with AltiumLive. A recipient of the shared link uses Altium 365 Viewer to view (but not comment) on the design. Viewing requires no registration with AltiumLive and the link is available for 48 hours.
- With specific people - available to specified people through email invite. Sharing at this level requires registration with AltiumLive, but does not require active subscription for your Altium NEXUS licensing. A recipient accesses the design snapshot through the Altium 365 Platform Interface from their email invitation. Viewing requires registration with AltiumLive, but the snapshot is available permanently. Commenting of the design is also available.
Accessing Sharing Controls
Controls for sharing a design from within Altium NEXUS can be found in the Share dialog - accessed in the following ways:
- For the active project - by clicking the button at the top-right of the main application window, or by choosing the Project » Share command from the main menus.
- For the focused project in the Projects panel - by right-clicking on the entry for the project and then choosing the Share command from the context menu.
Accessing the Share dialog - command central for sharing a design from within Altium NEXUS.
Sharing a Live Design
With a design project registered with (made available to) an Altium 365 Workspace, you have the ability to share that design with other people. This can be to other members of your Workspace team (for viewing or editing), or to people outside of the team (for viewing and commenting through a Web browser only). In the case of the latter, they get to see the live (or WIP) design - synchronized to reflect each and every change that is committed by members of the Workspace team whom have editing rights. To share in this manner, click to select the entry, on the left side of the Share dialog.
Accessing the controls to share a live/WIP design with others. Note that the image shows the case for a project already available in a connected Workspace.
In order to be able to share a design:
- You must be signed in to your Altium account (using your AltiumLive credentials).
- You must have active (valid) Altium Subscription for your Altium NEXUS licensing.
- You must be connected to your Altium 365 Workspace.
- The design project must be registered with (made available to) the Workspace.
The Share dialog will present guidance in order to properly prepare you for sharing your chosen design project. The following are examples of this:
- If not signed in to your Altium account, the dialog will present a link to do so (to access the Sign In dialog), or to register with AltiumLive, if you don't yet have credentials. You will typically connect to a Workspace (if you have one) once signed in to your account, and if that Workspace has been set as the default.
- If you are signed into your Altium account and are attempting to share an open project that is not registered with a Workspace (i.e. it is an unmanaged local or VCS project), and you don't have a Workspace available to you, the dialog will present a control to activate the Workspace for your company.
- If you are signed into your Altium account and are attempting to share an open project that is registered with a Workspace, and you are not currently connected to that Workspace, the dialog will present a control to connect to that specific Workspace, or switch to it if currently connected to a different Workspace.
- If you are signed into your Altium account and are attempting to share an open project that is not registered with a Workspace (i.e. it is an unmanaged local or VCS project), and you are not currently connected to a Workspace, the dialog will present a list of all Workspaces available to you, prompting you to select which Workspace to register the project with.
Sharing with New People
With preparation complete, project selected and target Workspace connected, you can proceed to specify which person (or people) the project is to be shared with. To check who already has access to the project, click on the control to the far right of the Shared with field. The region will expand to show with whom the project is shared and whether they have editing rights (Can Edit), or can view and comment on the project only (Can View).
Check with whom the project is currently shared by clicking the control at the far right of the Share with field. Hover over the image to see the result.
Provided you have editing rights to a project you can share that project with anyone - other AltiumLive users from within your own organization, AltiumLive users from different organizations, and non-AltiumLive users (who will need to then register for AltiumLive accounts). To add an entry, begin typing the desired name/email/role in the field so the matching user/role can be selected from the dynamic list - which will only contain filtered users in your Workspace team or within your organization, and existing roles defined for the Workspace. Multiple users/roles can be chosen. To remove an entered user/role, click the control associated with the entry.
Set the sharing access permissions for the added people/roles from the associated drop-down menu by selecting Can View () or Can Edit (), where the latter option inherently includes viewing capability. The setting initially applies to all entries (people/roles) included in the field. Use the optional note field to include information that relates to the sharing arrangement for this project.
If you attempt to share a project with a person outside of the team, the Sharing Outside of the Workspace dialog will appear, offering the following options:
- Share - click this option to proceed with sharing the project, but with view-only permissions.
- Invite - if you need the added person (people) to have editing rights, then you must specifically invite them to your Workspace team. Click this option to launch your default Web browser with the Admin-Users page presented, from where you can specifically invite the person.
You can share a project with anyone outside of the Workspace team, but only for viewing.
If you are sharing an unmanaged, local project (not under external VCS), the project will be made available in the currently connected Workspace at the time the project is shared with nominated people. What actually happens depends on whether you are sharing for viewing or editing:
- When sharing for viewing only - the project is made available through Simple Sync. Under this mode, the design project can be edited by a single person only (the owner of that project). The strength of Simple Sync comes when you do not want anyone else editing your design, but where you do want to take advantage of Altium 365's Global Sharing paradigm, and be able to share that design with multiple other people for viewing and commenting. For more information on this functionality, see Making an Existing UnManaged Project Available Online.
- When sharing for editing - the project needs to be added to the Workspace's Versioned Storage Git design repository. Under this mode, multiple people can be shared the project for editing (provided they are part of the Workspace team), as well as being able to utilize Altium 365's Global Sharing support for shared viewing and commenting. A dialog will be presented alerting you to this and giving you the option to do so.
When sharing an unmanaged project (not under VCS) with a Workspace team member for editing, the project will need to be brought under version control by addition to the Workspace's Versioned Storage Git design repository.
With target recipient(s) defined and access rights specified, click the button to proceed with sharing the project. What happens next depends on the type of user being invited:
- A user that is already part of your Workspace Team will be added to the access list for the project directly. They will receive an email notifying them that the project has been shared with them (and what access rights they have to it).
- An existing role for the Workspace will be added to the access list for the project directly. All members of the role will receive an email notifying them that the project has been shared with them (and what access rights they have to it).
- For a person outside of your Workspace team, the project will be shared with them and they will receive an email invite to access that design through Altium 365. Once they click the button in the email they will be taken to the Altium 365 Sign In page (unless already signed in to the platform, or their AltiumLive account). Upon signing in, they will be taken to the Viewer, with the shared design loaded.
Modifying Access Rights for Existing People
At any time, an Administrator (or Workspace team member with editing rights) can modify the existing access permissions for a project. To access the list of existing shared people and roles for a project click the entry on the left side of the Share dialog, then expand the Shared with field on the right.
Accessing the list of people and roles who currently have shared access to the project.
Things to be aware of:
- In terms of permissions, a person/role has full editing access to the project when the Can Edit option () is selected. Otherwise, they have View-only access ().
- The Owner and the Administrators role always have full editing access (Can Edit).
- With the exception of the Owner and Administrators role, permissions for all included people/roles may be individually set as Can View or Can Edit, or access rights completely removed. Click on the current permission state to access controls.
- A project may be explicitly shared with specific people and/or roles, or simply shared with all members of the Workspace team. For the latter, set the required access for the Everyone in the team entry. To not share the project with the entire team, set this entry to None.
Make changes to access permissions as required. Each changed entity is highlighted in the list with a lighter background.
Example changes to the permissions for two existing people with which a project is currently shared.
To affect changes, click the button. The changes will be applied, with confirmation reflected through the dialog. To see the updated list of shared access, click the Who has access link.
After saving permission changes, you can view the updated result directly through the Share dialog.
Sharing a Design Snapshot
Creating a snapshot of a design allows you to quickly share that design - at that specific point in time - for wider collaboration with others through the Web. This can be useful for an on-the-fly design review, sharing a particular design milestone, or even to stimulate contextual discussion. To share in this manner, click to select the entry, on the left side of the Share dialog.
Accessing the controls to share a snapshot of a design.
Sharing by Link
By default, the dialog is set to Share By Link, meaning that anyone who is given the link will have access to view the design snapshot through their Web browser for a time-limited period of 48 hours. Commenting on the design is not possible with this level of sharing.
Click the button to generate the link to the design snapshot. In the background, the project itself is packaged into a Zip archive using Altium NEXUS's Project Packager. Once the link is ready, click the button to copy it, and share with the required people as needed.
Generating the time-limited link that can be shared with anyone, anywhere.
On using the link, a recipient will be taken to an instance of Altium 365 Viewer - on the main altium.com site - with the design processed and loaded.
Using the shared link, a recipient can browse the design snapshot using Altium 365 Viewer, loaded on the main altium.com site. Shown here is a schematic - hover over the image to see the PCB.
Sharing with Specific People
Clicking the Share with specific people control will switch the sharing mode (for sharing a design snapshot) to allow you to share with one or more specific people - by email invitation. Recipients will have access to view the design snapshot through the Web-based Altium 365 Platform Interface. Such a design snapshot is available permanently through the platform and commenting on the design is possible with this level of sharing.
Switch mode to be able to share a design snapshot with specific people on a permanent basis.
Enter the full email of a person with whom you want to share the snapshot and press Enter. Multiple people can be specified in this way, as needed. You can also add an optional note - to let them know anything pertinent about this specific snapshot being shared.
Example sharing of a design snapshot with a specific person, by email.
Once ready, click the button. The project itself is packaged into a Zip archive using Altium NEXUS's Project Packager, then uploaded to the Altium 365 platform. Confirmation of upload is provided once the process completes.
The shared snapshot is packaged and then uploaded to the Altium 365 platform, where it is available on a permanent basis.
The person with whom you shared the uploaded design snapshot will receive an email invite to access that snapshot through Altium 365. Once they click the button in the email they will be taken to the Altium 365 Sign In page (unless already signed in to the platform, or their AltiumLive account). Upon signing in, they will be taken to the Viewer, with the shared design snapshot loaded.
Viewing a Shared Live Design at any Stage
Related page: Sharing Live Designs outside of the Workspace
For a member of the Workspace team, they can view the shared project through Altium NEXUS, or through the Altium 365 Platform Interface (from the Projects page of the Workspace's interface). Note that editing of the project - if they have editing rights - is only possible through Altium NEXUS.
In addition to following the link in their email invite, a person outside of the Workspace team with whom a design has been shared will be able to access that live design at any time from the Shared with Me page of the Altium 365 Platform Interface. A live design is denoted by the icon within its tile. To open in the integrated Viewer, select the design of interest, click the button within its tile, then choose the Open command from the associated menu. Alternatively, double-click directly on the tile.
Accessing a live design from the Shared with Me page of the Altium 365 Platform Interface. Notice that this example user has no Workspace - reinforcing the fact that this project is shared outside of the Workspace team.
Viewing a Shared Permanent Design Snapshot at any Stage
Related page: Sharing Design Snapshots
In addition to following the link in their email invite, a person with whom a permanent design snapshot has been shared will be able to access that snapshot at any time from the Shared with Me page of the Altium 365 Platform Interface. A design snapshot is denoted by the icon within its tile. To open in the integrated Viewer, select the design snapshot of interest, click the button within its tile, then choose the Open command from the associated menu. Alternatively, double-click directly on the tile.
Accessing a design snapshot from the Shared with Me page of the Altium 365 Platform Interface.
To disable sharing completely, uncheck the Altium Cloud option, on the System - Network Activity page of the Preferences dialog. If you attempt to share a design through the Share dialog - either live, or as a snapshot - a Warning dialog will appear, alerting you to the fact this option has been disabled.
Disabling connectivity to the Altium Cloud will prevent sharing of design projects.