PCB Prototype Board Layout Software Designed to Work in Unison
When you’re ready for PCB manufacturing, you need to create a set of deliverables from your PCB layout files. All PCB manufacturers and PCB assembly services will use your layout data and a set of other documents to get your board into the manufacturing process. You shouldn’t need separated design and PCB fabrication tools to get your board into production. Instead, you need to use a complete application for design and manufacturing in a single program. You’ll find these features and many more when you use Altium Designer.
TOPICS IN THIS SOLUTION
Professional PCB design software for preparing your circuit board for manufacturing.
The traditional process for PCB prototyping moves from building a PCB layout with CAD software to fabricating a prototype. After prototyping is successful and the board passes a series of tests, the board can be put into full scale manufacturing. Getting through each of these stages requires the right set of design tools that help you prepare for prototyping and eventually full-scale manufacturing.
Designers looking for PCB prototype services need to create high quality, standardized deliverables for PCB manufacturers and PCB assembly services to reduce turnaround time and ensure scalability. Your circuit board design software needs to include some important tools to ensure your components can be sourced, your boards can be fabricated, and assembly can be completed with high yield. Here’s how the unified design features in Altium Designer will help you get through the design and prototyping process quickly.
Your prototype is the first step in building a functional product and ensuring that it can be mass produced. Your new product will need to go through a battery of tests to ensure it will function as desired in its intended application, and this all hinges on getting the design correct.
The integrated design tools in Altium Designer help you create all aspects of your design, including schematics and layout. Everything is integrated into a single program, including a schematic capture utility for transferring from schematic to a new PCB layout. You’ll also have access to pre-layout and post-layout simulation tools to help you verify your new design.
Use Rules-Checking to Obey DFM Requirements
How can you be sure your boards will not violate any PCB assembly or fabrication rules? You need to use the best PCB design software with rules-checking features and online DRCs. As you create your prototype circuit board, standard rules for PCB manufacturing and assembly are checked in real-time, helping you identify errors and correct them before you begin PCB prototyping. This saves you time and cost when you’re preparing a circuit board for PCB prototyping and, eventually, full-scale manufacturing.
- If you can spot design problems before you send your design to PCB assembly services, you’ll cut down your lead time and expense.
- You can make sure your board quickly hits the PCB assembly line when you program the right design rules into your PCB design software.
- PCB layouts need a complete set of rules checks as they are created. Altium Designer’s rules-driven design engine helps you check your circuit board layout choices in real-time and prevents design errors.
A PCB prototyping service will need to see all your design data to ensure your board can be produced with high yield.
Your design data gets used by prototyping services and PCB assembly services to create instructions for manufacturing equipment and assembly. Your design data needs to be converted into a set of standardized documents for assembly and fabrication. You can use your design tools to create these important documents and ensure your prototype can be produced properly.
Create Standardized Manufacturing Documentation
Preparing your prototype design for fabrication and PCB assembly services works best with software that instantly exports your design data into standardized formats. Altium Designer instantly takes your design data and generates the fabrication files your manufacturer will use to create your new circuit board and prepare it for PCB assembly.
- Your PCB manufacturing documentation gets used to manufacture prototype boards and to manufacture at scale. You’ll need to send a complete documentation package to your fabricator and PCB assembly services.
- Your bill of materials contains critical information for sourcing components and PCB assembly. When you need to create this document for your prototype circuit board, don’t use a premade template, use the best design software instead.
- With the supply chain management tools in Altium Designer, you don’t have to worry about having your manufacturer source components for your prototype boards.
Production and assembly services data in Altium Designer.
When you use Altium Designer, you can bring design concepts from the lab into PCB prototyping and PCB assembly quickly and easily. Your PCB layout features integrate with a complete set of manufacturing features, giving you the features you need to make the transition from prototype boards to a final product produced at scale. Everything you need to create high-quality PCBs and produce them at scale can be found in Altium Designer.
PCB Prototyping is Unified with the Layout Tools in Altium Designer
Altium Designer eases the process of PCB design with hierarchical multi-channel design support. You can create sections of circuitry once and then instruct the software to repeat all the components and connectivity in hierarchical schematics. When you use the integrated schematic capture tool to transfer the design from the schematic editor to a PCB Layout, Altium Designer automatically steps out the physical components and nets the required number of times.
After determining the PCB layout you use Altium Designer’s 3D layout mode to view your PCB in 3D and check that your prototype will fit within your enclosure. Once you’ve verified your design, you can generate fabrication documentation for PCB prototyping and PCB assembly. Once you’ve tested your prototype boards, you can quickly scale to a high volume PCB manufacturing process.
- Only Altium Designer integrates a complete set of design and manufacturing tools into a single application. You’ll have the design features you need to prepare for prototyping and manufacture boards at full scale.
- The native 3D PCB design features in Altium Designer are ideal for taking your prototype boards and transforming them into high quality finished products that can be manufactured at scale.
- When you’re working on a prototype PCB assembly for advanced products with multiple designers, the collaboration applications can help you stay organized and help you source components before sending your boards to assembly services.
Verify your design in 3D with Altium Designer
When you need to complete your PCB design and prepare your board for the PCB fabrication process, you need the complete set of design, layout, and manufacturing tools in Altium Designer. No other PCB design platform gives you the capability to fabricate a prototype board, production boards, and PCB assembly services data in a single program.
Altium Designer on Altium 365 delivers an unprecedented amount of integration to the electronics industry until now relegated to the world of software development, allowing designers to work from home and reach unprecedented levels of efficiency.
We have only scratched the surface of what is possible to do with Altium Designer on Altium 365. You can check the product page for a more in-depth feature description or one of the On-Demand Webinars.