KB: How can I copy everything to a new PCB
Created: March 30, 2021 | Updated: February 28, 2024
I suspect some sort of corruption with my PCB. I want to try copying as much as I can from my current PCB to a new "clean" one. I read that this might resolve my issue with "undo not working" in one particular PCB.Starting in Version: 18.0Up to Version: Current
Solution DetailsThere are a few issues for which this procedure may resolve issues you are having. To copy everything to a new PCB:
First get a copy of everything you'll need from the old PCB
- Design ► Layer Stack Manager ► File ► Save (Template) As… (just Save As… for newer versions)
- Design ► Rules: Right-click in left panel of Rules Editor and choose Export Rules, then use ctrl+A to select all, OK, pick a folder - Save
- Copy all components /primitives - ctrl+A in the PCB then ctrl+C, select a reference point
Then create a new PCB and put everything in it.
- Design ► Layer Stack Manager ► File ► Load Template… (Load from File… for newer versions)Then use ctrl+S to save the stackkup to the PCB
- Design ► Rules: Right-click in left panel of Rules Editor and choose Import Rules, then use ctrl+A to select all, OK, pick the file, click Open, Yes to clear existing rules, OK.
- Use Edit ► Paste Special with only keep net name checked to paste all components /primitives from the old board.
Find a layer with the board outline, click on a section of the outline, use the tab key to select it all, then use Design ► Board Shape ► Define from selected objects.
Use Edit ► Origin ► Set to put the origin were you want it.
The layer names do not come over, so you'll have to compare the old and new to get them renamed.
Split & Bend lines, and plane assignments will also need to be re-done.
Was this article helpful?
Found an issue with this document? Highlight the area, then use Ctrl+Enter to report it.