Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to place a Feature Control Frame object into the active Draftsman document (*.PCBDwf). A Feature Control Frame is an information object that can be attached to a drawing feature and includes multiples of symbolic data that specifies the mechanical manufacturing constraints for the feature. A Feature Control Frame offers symbol options and a large number of elements that can be attached to specify manufacturing tolerances and constraints. Attached machining tolerances, such as the 'straightness' of a feature, for example, apply to the specified drawing object face. Attached Dimension tolerances, by comparison, (such as 'position') are generally specified as relative to one or more placed Datum. When added to the mechanical elements in a Draftsman drawing view, the combined information represented by Feature Control Frames and their related Datum references can fully describe the acceptable manufacturing constraints for those physical elements.
This command can be accessed from the PcbDrawing Editor by:
- Choosing the Place » Annotations » Feature Control Frame command from the main menus.
- Locating and using the Feature Control Frame command () on the Active Bar.
- Clicking the entry on the Drawing Annotations toolbar.
- Right-clicking in the workspace and choosing the Place » Annotations » Feature Control Frame command from the context menu.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair, and you will enter feature control frame placement mode. Placement is performed as follows:
- Position the cursor at the required point within the drawing; typically this will be a feature such as an edge. In this case, position at a point where the drawing element is highlighted (an edge or a point). With the cursor in position, click to attach the feature control frame to that feature.
- Move the cursor to position the frame end and click to anchor this end.
- A Feature Control Frame can be graphically modified after placement. Click and drag an editing handle to move its reference or frame respectively.
- Most aspects of a placed feature control frame are available for editing through the Properties panel. If the panel is already open, select a placed feature control frame to populate the panel with its associated properties. If the panel is not open, double-click on the feature control frame to access it.
- Defaults for this primitive type can be defined on the Draftsman - Defaults page of the Preferences dialog.