The Create New Item dialog is accessed from the Explorer panel by right-clicking on an item, choosing Create Item, then selecting one of the available item types (except Component) from the sub-menu.
- Name - enter the name of the new Item.
- Description - use this field to enter a meaningful description of what is represented by this Item.
- Item ID – the unique ID for this Item. The ID itself is typically a code in accordance with established naming conventions. For example,
D-810-XXXX may be used to reflect a fabricated Blank Board Item, while
D-820-XXXX may reflect an Assembled Board Item. The Item ID cannot be changed after the Item is released.
- Content Type – this field lists the item type. A different content type can be selected from the drop-down menu.
- Share Item - click to open the Share For dialog in which you can specify permissions for this new item.
- Advanced - click to open the advanced version of the dialog to access additional options, such as Revision Naming Scheme and Lifecycle Definition.
- Folder – the server folder in which this item is stored. Click to open the Choose Folder dialog to select or create a different folder.
- Share Revision - click to open the Share For dialog in which you can specify permissions for this new item revision.
- Ancestor Revision – the preceding revision from which this Item is created/branched. Click to open a dialog to navigate to and select an existing revision. Click Clear to remove the current Ancestor Revision.
- Open for editing after creation - enable to open the new item after clicking OK. Doing so allows you to take advantage of the option to edit and release the associated data entity into the initial revision of that item, after creation. Therefore, instead of creating the source data outside of the server and releasing it, you may start working on the source directly from the moment the empty Item is created, courtesy of direct editing. When that editing is complete, the entity is released into the initial planned revision of its parent Item, and the temporary editor closed.