Applied Parameters: Action=ComponentHelp
This command is used to open the reference document specified through a defined HelpURL parameter, for the currently selected component in the Libraries panel. Using this parameter you can reference a PDF or text file, or an HTML page.
With a HelpURL parameter for the required component already defined, this command can be accessed from the Libraries panel by:
- Selecting the required component, then right-clicking in the Components, Models, or Supplier Links region, and choosing the References » Show Help for <ComponentName> command from the context menu.
- Selecting the required component, then using the F1 keyboard shortcut.
To use the feature, first ensure that the HelpURL parameter has been added to the required component, and that the value for the parameter has been set to the document you wish to open. When specifying the value for the parameter, you can either include an absolute path or just enter the document name. The following examples are valid entries for the value of the parameter:
After launching the command, the target document will be opened. A web-based URL target page will open directly (if available). For a PDF or text document, a search for the document is conducted as follows:
- If a path to it is specified, this location is searched first,
- If the document cannot be found at this location, or if no path is specified, the
\Help folder of the Altium Designer installation is searched.
- A web-based URL will be open either in an external browser, or as a tabbed document within Altium Designer, as determined by the Open internet linkes in external Web browser option, on the System - View page of the Preferences dialog. Bear in mind that to open in an external browser, the value for the HelpURL parameter must include the http:// prefix.
- In the Schematic Editor, the target document defined for the HelpURL parameter can also be accessed by pressing F1 while the cursor is hovering over the required component (selected or not). Alternatively, right-click over the placed component in the workspace and choose the References » Help command, from the context menu.
- In the Schematic Library Editor, the target document defined for the HelpURL parameter can also be accessed by right-clicking anywhere in the workspace for the active component and choosing the References » Help command, from the context menu.