Parent page: Getting Familiar with the Altium Design Environment
Interaction with your connected Workspace can be made from various areas, but there are two main places:
- From within Altium Designer through the Explorer panel.
- Through your preferred Browser using the Workspace's browser-based interface.
This page takes a look at accessing your Workspace from within Altium Designer.
Connecting to Your Altium 365 Workspace
First, ensure that you are signed in to your AltiumLive account through Altium Designer. Use the Sign in entry of the Current User control associated menu to sign in (learn more).
When signed in, you can connect to your Altium 365 Workspace. To do so, click on the control at the top-right of the main application window. In the subsequent menu, all Altium 365 Workspaces that are available to you will be listed across two sections:
- My Workspaces – the Altium 365 Workspace activated for your own organization and to which you have been added as a team member. Note that each organization can activate a single Altium 365 Workspace.
- Shared With Me – those Altium 365 Workspaces of other organizations to which you have been invited and subsequently added as a team member.
Click the entry for the specific Altium 365 Workspace you wish to connect to.
Click to access a Workspace from all those available to you.
You can also connect to your Altium 365 Workspace from the Open Project and Create Project dialogs, when wanting to open an existing project, or create a new project, respectively. In either case, select the entry in the Locations region of the dialog, then click on the button for the required Workspace.
Connect to a Workspace through the Open Project and Create Project dialogs.
You will be connected to the Workspace, with the dialog updated to present the Workspace's name in the Locations region. For the Open Project dialog, the main area will populate with projects currently in the Workspace and that are shared with you. The Create Project dialog will present the controls and options for defining a new project within the Workspace.
Once connected, the location will update with the name of the Workspace, and the relevant dialog content presented.
If you are a member of the team for one or more Altium 365 Workspaces and have nominated one of these to be the default Altium 365 Workspace, then you will connect directly to that Workspace when initially signing in to your Altium account (through Altium Designer) using your AltiumLive credentials. After that, each time you sign in to your account within Altium Designer the last connected Workspace will be automatically connected – all set ready to continue designing where you left off.
Read-only Altium 365 Workspace
If there is no active Altium Designer Software Subscription across any of the Altium Designer licensing for a company's account with Altium (to which that company's Altium 365 Workspace is associated), then that Workspace will switch over to being Read-only. All team members will still be able to view/work with existing content in the Workspace, but will not be able to modify that existing content in any way, nor create any new content.
When connecting to a Read-only Workspace, a warning dialog will be presented and the icon for the connected Workspace will present as .
Connecting to a Workspace that has been switched to Read-only mode.
Connecting to Your Enterprise Server Workspace
Connect to your Enterprise Server Workspace from within Altium Designer by clicking the Current User control, at the top-right of the main application window (e.g. ). This will be the user that is currently signed into AltiumLive through this instance of Altium Designer. In the subsequent menu choose the Custom connection command. The Sign in dialog will appear, with which to connect to the target Workspace. Enter the URL for the Workspace and your Workspace access credentials, then click the button.
Connecting to your Enterprise Server Workspace from within Altium Designer.
- Server Address – use this field to enter the location URL of the Workspace to which you want to connect. The format for this is:
<ComputerName>:<PortNumber>. Use the drop-down arrow then choose Preferences to access the Data Management – Servers page of the Preferences dialog to manage Workspaces.
- User Name – enter an existing, valid user name for a Workspace.
- Password – enter the password that corresponds to the User Name.
- Sign in automatically – enable to automatically sign in to the Workspace when Altium Designer is started.
- Use Windows Session credentials – enable to use your active Windows Session credentials to log into the Workspace. The User Name field will display your Windows username. This enables you to log into the Workspace without the need to create and remember an additional password.
- Sign in – click to log into the Workspace using the above settings.
Connecting to a 'Known' Enterprise Server Workspace
If you have previously connected to your Enterprise Server Workspace from within the same instance of Altium Designer, it will become a Known Server. If this is the case, you can connect to that Workspace from within Altium Designer in a more streamlined fashion. To do so, click on the control at the top-right of the main application window. In the subsequent menu, choose the entry for your Workspace, in the CUSTOM CONNECTIONS grouping. If you enabled the Sign in automatically option when accessing that Workspace previously, you will be connected straight away. If this option was not enabled, the Sign in dialog will appear, with which to connect to the target Workspace. Enter the URL for the Workspace, and your Workspace access credentials, then click the button.
Connecting to your Enterprise Server Workspace from within Altium Designer, when that Workspace is already known.
Connecting to an Enterprise Server Workspace from Different Computers
Support is provided for connecting to your Enterprise Server Workspace using the same credentials but from different computers (other than the computer on which the Enterprise Server is installed). If you attempt to connect to a Workspace that you are already connected to from another computer – either through Altium Designer or the Workspace's browser-based interface – a pop-up dialog will alert you to this. You can choose from two options offered in the dialog:
- Terminate existing session – close the existing session that you have on the other computer and continue to login to the Workspace from the current computer.
- Start new session – login to the Workspace from the current computer by using an additional connection license and thereby keep logged into the Workspace from the other computer as well.
Application of Environment Configurations
When connecting to a Workspace that has defined Environment Configurations, the configuration service determines the environment configuration to be used for that user, and changes the relevant areas of the Altium Designer environment to enforce the permitted data elements of that configuration.
If the user is assigned to several roles, and multiple environment configurations can apply, the user will be given the choice of which environment configuration to be applied when they sign-in. Choice is made from the Select a Configuration dialog.
If multiple environment configurations apply to a user, that user will be presented with the choice at the time of connecting to the Workspace, through the Select a configuration dialog
- Name / Description - the name and description of the configuration that you created in the browser-based interface. Select the desired configuration.
- Remember my choice - enable to remember the selected configuration when signing in. When this is enabled, the dialog will not appear for any future sign in.
- Work as administrator - enable to work as an administrator, which allows you to work within the software and with a server without any restrictions.
If the user is also an Administrator for the Workspace, they have the option to Work as administrator. This allows them to work within Altium Designer, and with the Workspace, without any restrictions.
If no configuration is available for a user, then their working environment will simply be configured with the latest revision of all released Items that are supported by an environment configuration - as though a default configuration were being applied. If there is at least one released revision of a particular Data Item in the Workspace, then that Item Revision will be used - no local file-based entities (e.g., templates) will be available for use.
Checking Connection Status
You can check whether you are currently connected to a Workspace from the following places:
Managing Your Workspace
From within Altium Designer, you have the ability to manage certain aspects of your connected Workspace. This is performed from the Data Management – Servers page of the Preferences dialog. Click the Properties control associated with the Workspace – in the Active Server region of the page – to access the commands, illustrated in the following image and detailed thereafter.
Accessing commands to manage various properties of the actively connected Workspace. Shown here is an example for a connected Altium 365 Workspace. Hover the cursor over the image to see an example for a connected Enterprise Server Workspace.
- Server configuration – use this command to access the Workspace's browser interface in your default Browser. If you are an Administrator for the Workspace you will be taken to the Admin – Settings page of the browser interface.
- Lifecycles – use this command to access the Edit Lifecycle Definitions dialog, with which to manage the defined lifecycles for the Workspace.
- Naming schemes – use this command to access the Edit Revision Naming Schemes dialog, with which to manage the defined revision naming schemes for the Workspace.
- Operations – use this command to access the Edit Operation Permissions dialog, with which to define and manage global operation permissions for the Workspace.
- Connection (only for an Enterprise Server Workspace) – use this command to access the Connection Properties dialog, with which to configure your connection to the Workspace.
Disconnecting from Your Workspace
You can disconnect from your Workspace from within Altium Designer, in the following ways:
Working in the Workspace
Once you are connected to your Workspace, you can access and create content. The primary interface to the Workspace from Altium Designer is the Explorer panel.
When you are working in Altium Designer, you access full Workspace content through the Explorer panel. For component management only, you'll tend to use the Components panel.
To display a panel:
- Click the button at the bottom-right of Altium Designer and select the required panel from the menu that appears.
- Choose the required panel entry from the View » Panels main menu.