Applied Parameters: Source=HelpLink|Index=n (where n is in the range 0 to 9)
This command is used to open the indicated reference document - specified through a defined underlying ComponentLinknURL / ComponentLinknDescription parameter-pairing - for the component under the cursor (Schematic document), or the active component (Schematic Library document). Using this feature, you can define and present named links to PDFs or text files, or HTML pages.
With a ComponentLinknURL / ComponentLinknDescription parameter-pairing for the required component already defined, the command can be accessed from the Schematic Editor and Schematic Library Editor:
- Schematic Editor - by right-clicking over the placed component in the workspace and choosing the applicable command from the References sub-menu.
- Schematic Library Editor - by right-clicking anywhere in the workspace for the active component and choosing the applicable command from the References sub-menu.
To use this feature, first ensure that the two parameters for each ComponentLink pair have been added to the required component, and configured as follows:
First parameter - used to define the target document:
- Parameter Name = ComponentLinknURL (where n is any integer value)
- Parameter Value = target document path\name. The following examples are valid entries for the value of the parameter:
Second parameter - used to define the entry that appears in the menu:
- Parameter Name = ComponentLinknDescription
(where n is the same integer value used in the first parameter)
- Parameter Value = entry to appear in the menu.
While any number of ComponentLink parameter pairs can be defined (each pair being associated by sharing the same value for
n), only pairs numbered 0 to 9 will be available in the Schematic editor's right-click References context menu, which appears when you right-click on a component that includes this parameter. Pairs numbered 10 and higher will not appear in the Schematic editor's Reference menu but will be included in a generated PDF, and will function as live links from the PDF when the component is clicked on in Acrobat (if the Include Component Parameters option was enabled in the Publish to PDF Settings dialog when the PDF was generated).
After launching the command, the indicated target document will be opened. A web-based URL target page will open directly (if available). For a PDF or text document, a search for the document is conducted as follows:
- If a path to it is specified, this location is searched first,
- If the document cannot be found at this location, or if no path is specified, the
\Help folder of the Altium Designer installation is searched.
- A web-based URL will be open either in an external browser, or as a tabbed document within Altium Designer, as determined by the Open internet links in external Web browser option, on the System - View page of the Preferences dialog. Bear in mind that to open in an external browser, the value for the ComponentLinknURL parameter must include the http:// prefix.
- The indicated target document can also be accessed for the required component from the Libraries panel. Simply select the component, right-click, and choose the applicable command from the References sub-menu.