Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to place a Text String object onto the active document. A text string (also referred to as an annotation) is a non-electrical drawing primitive. It is a single line of free text that can be placed on a schematic sheet. Uses might include section headings, revision history, timing information or some other descriptive or instructive text.
For detailed information about this object type, see Text String
Text strings are available for placement in both Schematic and Schematic Library Editors, by:
- Choosing Place » Text String from the main menus.
- Clicking the button on the Utility Tools drop-down () of the Utilities toolbar.
- Right-click and choose Place » Text String from the context menu.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair and you will enter text string placement mode. A text string will appear "floating" on the cursor.
- Position the object and click or press Enter to effect placement.
- Continue placing further text strings, or right-click or press Esc to exit placement mode.
Additional actions that can be performed during placement are:
- Press the Tab key to access the Annotation dialog, from where properties for the text string can be changed on-the-fly.
- Press the Alt key to constrain the direction of movement to the horizontal or vertical axis, depending on the initial direction of movement.
- Press the Spacebar to rotate the text string anti-clockwise or Shift+Spacebar for clockwise rotation. Rotation is in steps of 90°.
- Press the X or Y keys to mirror the text string along the X-axis or Y-axis respectively.
- A newly placed text string will initially have default text of Text. This can be changed as required.
- For information on how a placed text string object can be modified graphically, directly in the workspace, see Graphical Editing.
- While attributes can be modified during placement (Tab to bring up associated properties dialog), bear in mind that these will become the default settings for further placement unless the Permanent option on the Schematic – Default Primitives page of the Preferences dialog is enabled. When this option is enabled, changes made will affect only the object being placed and subsequent objects placed during the same placement session.