Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to place a Hyperlink object onto the active document. A hyperlink is a non-electrical drawing primitive. Similar to a text string, it can be placed anywhere on a sheet. Where it differs is in its ability to link to a web page, or to a document on a local or shared drive, through specification of a target URL. This offers a fast, convenient alternative when providing access to datasheets for components used in a design. A hyperlink object can also provide a beneficial link to your own organization's website, within the title blocks of your schematic source documents.
Hyperlinks are available for placement in both Schematic and Schematic Library Editors by:
- Choosing Place » Hyperlink from the respective editor's main menus.
- Clicking the button on the Utility Tools drop-down () of the Utilities toolbar.
- Right-clicking and choosing Place » Hyperlink from the context menu.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair and you will enter hyperlink placement mode. A hyperlink will appear "floating" on the cursor.
- Position the object and click or press Enter to effect placement.
- Continue placing further hyperlinks, or right-click or press Esc to exit placement mode.
Additional actions that can be performed during placement are:
- Press the Tab key to access the Hyperlink dialog, from where properties for the hyperlink can be changed on-the-fly.
- Press the Alt key to constrain the direction of movement to the horizontal or vertical axis, depending on the initial direction of movement.
- Press the Spacebar to rotate the link text anti-clockwise or Shift+Spacebar for clockwise rotation. Rotation is in steps of 90°.
- Press the X or Y keys to mirror the link text along the X-axis or Y-axis respectively.
- When configuring the hyperlink, you don't need to enter the full URL with
http:// prefix. Entering the short-form address for a website will also work, for example
live.altium.com. Also, when targeting a local document on your hard drive or a shared drive, simply use the prefix
file:/// – for example
- For information on how a placed hyperlink object can be modified graphically, directly in the workspace, see Graphical Editing.
- While attributes can be modified during placement (Tab to bring up associated properties dialog), bear in mind that these will become the default settings for further placement unless the Permanent option on the Schematic – Default Primitives page of the Preferences dialog is enabled. When this option is enabled, changes made will affect only the object being placed and subsequent objects placed during the same placement session.