Parent page: Designing with a Connected Workspace
Interaction with your connected Workspace can be made from various areas, but there are two main places:
This page takes a look at accessing your Workspace from within Altium NEXUS.
Connecting to Your Altium 365 Workspace
First, ensure that you are signed in to your AltiumLive account through Altium NEXUS. To do so, click on the control at the top-right of the main application window, then click the entry on the associated menu. Use the subsequent Sign In dialog that appears to enter your AltiumLive account credentials, then click . Alternatively, sign in using your Google® or Facebook® account and, in doing so, link/associate that account with your AltiumLive account. If you don't have an AltiumLive account, you can click the control to register for one.
Ensure you are signed in to your Altium account, using your AltiumLive credentials.
You can now connect to your Altium 365 Workspace. To do so, click on the control at the top-right of the main application window. In the subsequent menu, all Altium 365 Workspaces that are available to you will be listed across two sections:
- My Workspaces – the Altium 365 Workspace activated for your own organization and to which you have been added as a team member. Note that each organization can activate a single Altium 365 Workspace.
- Shared With Me – those Altium 365 Workspaces of other organizations to which you have been invited and subsequently added as a team member.
Click the entry for the specific Altium 365 Workspace you wish to connect to.
Click to access a Workspace from all those available to you.
If you are a member of the team for one or more Altium 365 Workspaces and have nominated one of these to be the default Altium 365 Workspace, then you will connect directly to that Workspace when initially signing in to your Altium account (through Altium NEXUS) using your AltiumLive credentials. After that, each time you sign in to your account within Altium NEXUS the last connected Workspace will be automatically connected – all set ready to continue designing where you left off.
Read-only Altium 365 Workspace
If there is no active Altium NEXUS Software Subscription across any of the Altium NEXUS licensing for a company's account with Altium (to which that company's Altium 365 Workspace is associated), then that Workspace will switch over to being Read-only. All team members will still be able to view/work with existing content in the Workspace, but will not be able to modify that existing content in any way, nor create any new content.
When connecting to a Read-only Workspace, a warning dialog will be presented and the icon for the connected Workspace will present as .
Connecting to a Workspace that has been switched to Read-only mode.
Connecting to Your NEXUS Server Workspace
Connect to your NEXUS Server Workspace from within the NEXUS design client by clicking the Current User control, at the top-right of the main application window (e.g. ). This will be the user that is currently signed into AltiumLive through this instance of Altium NEXUS. In the subsequent menu choose the Custom connection command. The Sign in dialog will appear, with which to connect to the target Workspace. Enter the URL for the Workspace and your Workspace access credentials, then click the button.
Connecting to your NEXUS Server Workspace from within the NEXUS design client.
Connecting to a 'Known' NEXUS Server Workspace
If you have previously connected to your NEXUS Server Workspace from within the same instance of the NEXUS design client, it will become a Known Server. If this is the case, you can connect to that Workspace from within the Altium NEXUS client in a more streamlined fashion. To do so, click on the control at the top-right of the main application window. In the subsequent menu, choose the entry for your Workspace, in the CUSTOM CONNECTIONS grouping. If you enabled the Sign in automatically option when accessing that Workspace previously, you will be connected straight away. If this option was not enabled, the Sign in dialog will appear, with which to connect to the target Workspace. Enter the URL for the Workspace, and your Workspace access credentials, then click the button.
Connecting to your NEXUS Server Workspace from within the NEXUS client, when that Workspace is already known.
Connecting to a NEXUS Server Workspace from Different Computers
Support is provided for connecting to your NEXUS Server Workspace using the same credentials but from different computers (other than the computer on which the NEXUS Server is installed). If you attempt to connect to a Workspace that you are already connected to from another computer – either through the NEXUS design client or the Workspace's browser-based interface – a pop-up dialog will alert you to this. You can choose from two options offered in the dialog:
- Terminate existing session – close the existing session that you have on the other computer and continue to login to the Workspace from the current computer.
- Start new session – login to the Workspace from the current computer by using an additional connection license and thereby keep logged into the Workspace from the other computer as well.
Checking Connection Status
You can check whether you are currently connected to a Workspace from the following places:
You can quickly switch between any of the Workspaces available to you. To do so, click the Active Server control, at the top-right of the main application window (e.g. or ). In the subsequent menu choose the entry for the Workspace you wish to switch to. You will be disconnected from the current Workspace, then momentarily connected to the chosen Workspace.
When multiple Workspaces are available, you can quickly switch between them.
Managing Your Workspace
From within Altium NEXUS design client, you have the ability to manage certain aspects of your connected Workspace. This is performed from the Data Management – Servers page of the Preferences dialog. Click the Properties control associated with the Workspace – in the Active Server region of the page – to access the commands, illustrated in the following image and detailed thereafter.
Accessing commands to manage various properties of the actively connected Workspace. Shown here is an example for a connected Altium 365 Workspace. Hover the cursor over the image to see an example for a connected NEXUS Server Workspace.
- Server configuration – use this command to access the Workspace's browser interface in your default web browser. If you are an Administrator for the Workspace you will be taken to the Admin – Settings page of the browser interface.
- Lifecycles – use this command to access the Edit Lifecycle Definitions dialog, with which to manage the defined lifecycles for the Workspace.
- Naming schemes – use this command to access the Edit Revision Naming Schemes dialog, with which to manage the defined revision naming schemes for the Workspace.
- Operations – use this command to access the Edit Operation Permissions dialog, with which to define and manage global operation permissions for the Workspace.
- Connection (only for a NEXUS Server Workspace) – use this command to access the Connection Properties dialog, with which to configure your connection to the Workspace.
Disconnecting from Your Workspace
You can disconnect from your Workspace from within the NEXUS design client, in the following ways:
Working in the Workspace
Once you are connected to your Workspace, you can access and create content. The primary interface to the Workspace from Altium NEXUS is the Explorer panel.
When you are working inthe Altium NEXUS client you access full Workspace content through the Explorer panel. For component management only, you'll tend to use the Components panel.
To display a panel:
- Click the button at the bottom-right of Altium NEXUS and select the required panel from the menu that appears.
- Choose the required panel entry from the View » Panels main menu.