Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to create a Managed Project from an existing non-managed one. Managed Projects target the development stage of the project lifecycle, simplifying the creation and ongoing workflow for version controlled projects. Centralized storage under the control of the Altium Vault also enables this feature to be a foundation for other collaborative services. Some key benefits to using Managed Projects are:
- Simplified storage. No need to make decisions about storage locations. Backup and other basic services are taken care of.
- Foundation for collaborative features.
- Enforced version control.
- Beneficiary of a dedicated commenting system.
- Notifications and status. Document status including local modifications is visible to entire design teams.
- Concurrent PCB design works without any complex setup.
This command can be accessed by:
- Right-clicking over the entry for a non-managed project in the Projects panel, and choosing the Convert to Managed Project command from the context menu.
- Focusing the entry for a non-managed project in the Projects panel, then clicking the panel's Project button and choosing the Convert to Managed Project command from the context menu.
Prior to converting an existing non-managed project, ensure that a Design Repository exists in which to store that project, and all future projects. Design Repositories are centrally managed as part of the Altium Vault. Such repositories can be created through the local SVN Service - part of your Altium Vault installation. Alternatively, you can connect to an external repository.
After launching the command, the Convert to Managed Project dialog will appear. This dialog operates in the following two modes:
- Simple Mode - determine the project's name, and a description. By default, the name will be that of the original project.
- Advanced Mode - provides access to the managed Design Repository. Choose from all managed repositories shared with the current user signed in to the Altium Vault, as defined on the VCS page of the vault's browser interface. The repository path and directory therein are shown, the latter of which can be modified as required (by default a folder of the same name as the project will be created within the repository). The path to the local working copy of the project is also reflected.
Once you have defined the properties for the Managed Project as required, click OK. The Add to Version Control dialog will open, with all pertinent files selected for addition. Check all is as required and click OK. Once added, the Projects panel will reflect the fully synchronized state that exists between the files in the repository and the local working copy.
The newly-converted Managed Project will subsequently be available from the Projects page of the vault's browser interface.
- The project will initially be shared with the designer who converted it, all Administrators for the Altium Vault, and publically - all users of the vault can view (but not edit unless the owner/admin). To make it accessible to others simply share it, by configuring its permissions, by navigating to the project and setting Share permissions from the Projects page of the Altium Vault's browser interface.