This command is used to place a Bending Line across an existing board region within the current design. A bending line is a drawn PCB object that defines how a flexible board should be bent. Bending lines can be placed across a Board Region that has been assigned a Layer Stack with the Flex option enabled – that is, the particular board region has been configured as flexible.
A bending line defines where on the surface of the flex region the bend is to take place. It also defines the angle and radius of the bend and the width of the strip of board surface that is being bent. When the PCB editor is in 3D Layout mode, the bends can be displayed in their progressively folded state, providing a real-wold look at the rigid-flex design.
This command can be accessed from the PCB Editor, when configured in Board Planning Mode, by choosing the Design » Define Bending Line command, from the main menus.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair and you will enter bending line placement mode. Placement is made by performing the following sequence of actions:
- Click, or press Enter, inside the board region where the bending line is to be placed, one end of the line will attach to the edge of the region closest to the click location, the other end will attach to the directly opposite edge.
- Move the cursor to position the other end of the bending line, then click, or press Enter, to place it. The bending line will remain yellow if the location is valid. An invalid location (e.g. outside of the region) will cause the bending line to turn red. If you click to place while it is red, the bending line will simply be drawn horizontally or vertically from the first end point to the opposite edge of the board region.
- Continue placing further bending lines, or right-click, or press Esc, to exit placement mode.
- When a board region is set to use a Flex layer stack, a bending line is automatically added, vertically down its geometric center. Remove, or reposition and configure this bending line as required.
- For information on how a placed bending line object can be modified graphically, directly in the workspace, see Graphical Editing.