Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to add a new comment thread to a selected component in the active document. Comments are a feature associated with Managed Projects and allow all users working on a document to comment and review the design (or part thereof) in real-time without actual modification of the document itself.
The commenting feature facilitates strong review and collaboration processes. Due to the server nature of comments (they are stored on the server and do not touch the design document in any way) they become invaluable when:
- You want to point out some issues in the document without physically merging and getting conflicts.
- You want to add a comment that will become visible to everybody instantly prior to committing your working copy.
- You want to have a list of notes for your current design that is attached to areas of the document and could be closed as the design matures (similar to a to-do list).
This command can be accessed from the schematic editor when a component is selected in the design space by:
- Using the Ctrl+Alt+C keyboard shortcut.
- Right-clicking in the design space then choosing the Comment command from the context menu.
This command can also be accessed from the schematic and schematic library editors by:
- Clicking the button from the top right corner of the design space.
- Clicking the button from the Comments panel.
After launching the command, the cursor changes to a crosshair with a blue dot at the center. Position the crosshair where you want the comment located, then click. Type your comment then click the Post button. The comment will be committed and appear in the Comments panel and also in the design space. You can double-click the comment to open the Comments panel.
- When a comment is added, it is seen instantly by all other users that have that same Managed Project and document open in their respective design spaces.
- The Comments panel will track the entire thread of a specific comment, and only the latest comment in that thread is displayed in the design spaces.
- The active/selected comment on the Comments panel is highlighted. In the design space, that active/selected comment is distinguished through the visibility of its reference line.
- You can move a comment around in the design space only in terms of the area in which the text is displayed. The reference line extends from the bounding line around the component to the text area.