Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to add a new comment thread to a selected component in the active document. Comments are a feature associated with Managed Projects and allows all users working on a document to comment and review the design (or part thereof) in real-time without actual modification of the document itself.
The commenting feature facilitates strong review and collaboration processes. Due to the server nature of comments (they are stored on the server and do not touch the design document in any way) they become invaluable when:
- You want to point out some issues in document without physically merging and getting conflicts.
- You want to add a comment that will became visible to everybody instantly prior to committing your working copy.
- You want to have list of notes for you current design that are attached to areas of the document and could be closed as the design matures (similar to a to-do list).
This command can be accessed from the Schematic Editor when a component is selected in the workspace by:
- Choosing the Place » Comment command from the main menus.
- Using the Alt+Ctrl+C keyboard shortcut.
- Right-clicking in the workspace then choosing either the Comment or Place » Comment command from the context menu.
After launching the command, the Comments panel will appear ready to enter a new comment. Type your comment then click the Post button. The comment will be committed and appear in the panel and also in the workspace linked to the component by a reference line. A rectangular bounding line is drawn around the component encompassing its symbol (including pins) and designator.
- When a comment is added, it is seen instantly by all other users that have that same Managed Project and document open in their respective workspaces.
- The Comments panel will track the entire thread of a specific comment, and only the latest comment in that thread is displayed in the workspace.
- The active/selected comment on the Comments panel is highlighted. In the workspace, that active/selected comment is distinguished through the visibility of its reference line.
- You can move a comment around in the workspace only in terms of the area in which the text is displayed. The reference line extends from the bounding line around the component to the text area.
- You can collapse a comment in the workspace. Click on the small triangle at the top-left of the textual area.
- The display and appearance of comments on a schematic sheet is controlled from the Document Comments region on the Data Management – Servers page of the Preferences dialog. To turn off display of comments in the workspace – relying on just the Comments panel – disable the Show Comment Threads option. Other controls in the region relate to the look and feel of the comment and its reference line.