In conjunction with the recent updates made to Commenting features in an Altium 365 Workspace, Altium NEXUS now offers a parallel set of revised and enhanced Commenting capabilities when connected to an Altium server. Commenting in the design space has been notably improved in terms of graphics, usability and relevant information, and remains backward compatible with previously placed comments.
Below is a selection of notable feature points for the updated commenting system, as shown in the following video example:
- Placement: Comments are now placed in the editor space from a single command button available in the updated Comments panel. When in comment placement mode, the cursor detects and highlights objects for selection:
- Click a highlighted object to open the comment entry dialog – the comment will apply to the selected object.
- Click in an un-highlighted area to open the comment entry dialog – the comment will apply to that specific point.
- Alternatively, click away from an object, drag the cursor to create a highlighted area, and then click again to confirm its final shape and open the comment entry dialog – the comment will apply to objects within the specified area.
Select to confirm the comment entry. Note that placed comments are included as selectable summary entries in the Comments panel.
- Mentions and Assignments: Along with any entered text in the comment entry dialog, you can add a 'mention' reference to any other user or role registered with the connected Workspace by entering the @ character or clicking the button. Select a name/email from the dropdown list to add the user (team member) reference to the comment, and also as an Assign To entry. Uncheck the latter option if you do not wish the comment to be regarded as specifically assigned to that user. A Role group (say, 'Engineers'), and therefore its constituent users, may also be added as a mention and/or assignment.
If a mentioned user does not have access to the current project you will be invited to share it with that user. User Access Rights are granted through the Share dialog, and the user will receive an email notifying them of the shared access.
► See more information about sharing a design.
- Positioning: A comment's location in the editor space is moved by dragging its associated 'pin' to a new position. When selected, the comment pin includes a connecting line to its associated object or area. Use the button in the Comments panel to toggle the visibility of pins (and their associated comments) in the editor workspace.
- Drawing: When placing or editing a comment, select the option button to add freehand drawing with the resulting pen cursor. Right-click to finish and associate the drawing with the currently select comment.
Placing a Comment, including mention of another user, moving the comment Pin, and adding a freehand drawing to that comment.
To open an existing comment (from yourself or another team member), click on its pin in the editor space or its entry in the Comments panel. The below feature overview points can be seen in the video that follows:
- Preview: Placed comments include a related preview image that was captured when the comment was first placed. The thumbnail image is opened from the Show original design screenshot link in the opened comment dialog.
- Reply: An opened comment is inherently in reply mode, with the option to mention a Workspace user.
- Click the button to add your entered response to the comment thread.
- Click the button to Resolve (close as completed) the comment.
- Click in the editor space to close the comment dialog.
Replying to a user comment while opening its preview image, and also mentioning another user.
More feature points for the new commenting system are listed below and can be seen in the following video:
- Visibility: The visibility of comment threads is set by button in the Comments panel, which toggles both the visibility of the comment pins and the accessibility of the comment entries themselves.
- Edit: An existing comment may be edited by the author of that comment using the Edit option available from the comment's menu. Click the button to confirm the comment edit.
- Area comment: While in comment placement mode, click and drag the cursor to create a highlighted area, and then click again to confirm its final shape. The entered comment will apply to objects within the specified area.
- Selection: A comment threads can be opened by selecting its entry in the Comments panel, or by clicking on its associated pin in the editor space. Sequentially move through comment entries by clicking on the < and > (previous/next) icons at the top of the comment entry dialog.
Toggling the visibility of comments, editing an existing comment, placing an area comment, and stepping through comments.
Comments also can be placed on a board layout in the PCB editor space using the same placement approach to that in the schematic editor. When a comment entry is selected in the Comments panel, the system will open (and load if necessary) the associated design document.