Applied Parameters: Source=HelpLink|Index=n (where n is in the range 0 to 9)
This command is used to open the indicated reference document - specified through a defined named link - for the component under the cursor (Schematic document), or the active component (Schematic Library document). Using this feature, you can define and present named links to PDFs or text files, or HTML pages.
With a named link for the required component already defined, the command can be accessed from the Schematic Editor and Schematic Library Editor:
- Schematic Editor - by right-clicking over the placed component in the workspace and choosing the applicable command from the References sub-menu.
- Schematic Library Editor - by right-clicking anywhere in the workspace for the active component and choosing the applicable command from the References sub-menu.
To use this feature, first ensure that the required named link has been added to the required component - in the Links section, on the General tab of the Properties panel (when viewing the properties for the selected component) - and configured as follows:
- Name - used to define the entry that appears in the menu:
- Url - used to define the target document. The following examples are valid entries:
While any number of named links can be defined, only the first 10 will be available in the Schematic editor's right-click References context menu. Additional named links will not appear in the Schematic editor's Reference menu but will be included in a generated PDF, and will function as live links from the PDF when the component is clicked on in Acrobat (if the Include Component Parameters option was enabled in the Publish to PDF Settings dialog when the PDF was generated).
After launching the command, the indicated target document will be opened. A web-based URL target page will open directly (if available). For a PDF or text document, a search for the document is conducted as follows:
- If a path to it is specified, this location is searched first,
- If the document cannot be found at this location, or if no path is specified, the
\Help folder of the Altium NEXUS installation is searched.
- A web-based URL will be open either in an external browser, or as a tabbed document within Altium NEXUS, as determined by the Open internet links in external Web browser option, on the System - View page of the Preferences dialog. Bear in mind that to open in an external browser, the value for the ComponentLinknURL parameter must include the http:// prefix.
- The indicated target document can also be accessed for the required component from the Libraries panel. Simply select the component, right-click, and choose the applicable command from the References sub-menu.