Applied Parameters: Action=SetAsCurrent|Index=n (where n is in the range 0 to 20)
This command allows you to quickly set the focused variant to the active variant for the design project. The ability to create variations of the same base design is a real strength of Altium Designer, and a tremendous productivity booster for designers. Using variants, you can define any number of variations of the base design, configuring each component to be:
- Not fitted
- Fitted with modified component parameters, such as the component's value.
- Alternate Part - completely replacing one component, with another.
Variants that use any of these types of variations are all referred to as Assembly Variants, as they only impact on the assembly process - all variants share the same fabricated bare board. There is also support for variations to component overlay information on the PCB, for example changing a components' comment. This type of variation requires two overlay screens to be produced, resulting in two different bare boards. This type of variant is referred to as a Fabrication Variant.
This command is available from the Projects panel, by right-clicking on a variant entry within the Variants folder, and choosing the Set as current command from the context menu. The folder contains entries for the base design ([No Variations]), as well as all variants you have defined.
First, ensure that the entry for the variant that you wish to make the current variant, is focused in the Projects panel (or that the cursor is directly over its entry). If you want to make the base design the current variant, ensure that the [No Variations] entry has the focus.
After launching the command, the chosen variant will become the current variant.
- The current variant is displayed in bold, white text.
- Double-clicking directly on a variant's entry in the Projects panel will also make it the current variant.
- Any variant can also be made the current variant by choosing its entry from the right-click context menu associated to the Variants folder.
- To examine variant detail on a schematic you need to:
- Compile the project if it is not already compiled.
- Select the compiled tab down the bottom of the schematic sheet.
- Switch to the required variant.
- Components varied on this sheet will then be displayed, as configured in the Variant Options dialog.