Applied Parameters: None
The Share command is used to share your design projects with others, directly from within the software. The Share dialog will open and present guidance in order to properly prepare you for sharing your chosen design project.
This command is accessed by clicking the Share button at the top-right of the main application window.
After launching the command, the Share dialog will appear. In order to be able to begin sharing a design, you must be signed in to your Altium account (using your AltiumLive credentials), have an active (valid) Altium Subscription for your Altium Designer licensing, be connected to your Altium 365 Workspace, and the design project must be registered with (made available to) the Workspace.
There are various iterations of the Share dialog that appear depending on whether or not you are signed in to your Altium account, Workspace, or are working on a project that is not registered with a Workspace.
- If not signed in to your Altium account, the dialog will present a link to do so (to access the Sign In dialog), or to register with AltiumLive, if you don't yet have credentials. You will typically connect to a Workspace (if you have one) once signed in to your account, and if that Workspace has been set as the default.
- If you are signed in to your Altium account and are attempting to share an open project that is not registered with a Workspace (i.e. it is an unmanaged local or VCS project), and you don't have a Workspace available to you, the dialog will present a control to create a Workspace for your company.
- If you are signed in to your Altium account and are attempting to share an open project that is registered with a Workspace, and you are not currently connected to that Workspace, the dialog will present a control to connect to that specific Workspace, or switch to it if currently connected to a different Workspace.
- If you are signed in to your Altium account and are attempting to share an open project that is not registered with a Workspace (i.e. it is an unmanaged local or VCS project), and you are not currently connected to a Workspace, the dialog will present a list of all Workspaces available to you, prompting you to select which Workspace to register the project with.
Once signed in, you may use the Share Project and the Snapshot on the Web tabs of the Share dialog:
- With a design project registered with (made available to) an Altium 365 Workspace, you have the ability to share that design with other people using the Share Project tab of the Share dialog. This can be to other members of your Workspace team (for viewing or editing), or to people outside of the team (for viewing and commenting through a Web browser only). In the case of the latter, they get to see the live (or WIP) design, synchronized to reflect each and every change that is committed by members of the Workspace team who have editing rights.
- The Snapshot on the Web tab allows you to capture a snapshot of the select project in its current state, which is made available for viewing and commenting, providing for wider collaboration with others through the Web. This can be useful for an on-the-fly design review, sharing a particular design milestone, or even to stimulate contextual discussion. The Snapshot on the Web tab is available on each iteration of the Share dialog, meaning any user who is currently viewing a project within Altium Designer can share a snapshot of that design - irrespective of whether or not they have shared access to that design themselves.
- Only a Workspace team member who has editing rights to a project can share that live design with other people. Administrators can always share a project. When shared with a person outside of the Workspace team - for viewing and commenting of the design through the Altium 365 Platform Interface - that person is able to 'onward share' with others, from within that interface.
- The Share dialog is only available when connected to an Altium Designer Workspace, such as the Altium 365 platform. For more information regarding sharing a design, visit the Sharing a Design within Altium Designer page.
- If you attempt to share a project with a person outside of the team, the Sharing Outside of the Workspace dialog will appear. For more information on this dialog, visit the Sharing Outside of the Workspace dialog page.
- If you are sharing an unmanaged project, the project will be made available in the currently connected Workspace at the time the project is shared with nominated people. When sharing for viewing only, the project is made available through Simple Sync. For more information on this functionality, see Making an Existing UnManaged Project Available Online.
- If you are already connected to a Workspace, then that will be used as the target in which to register the project. Note that the project will be made available in the target Workspace at the time the project is shared with nominated people.