Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to clone the selected component definition in the active Component Library document. The cloning feature facilitates the ability to quickly create component definitions in a source Component Library that differ slightly from one another.
This command can be accessed from the Component Library Editor when configured in Batch Editor mode by:
- Selecting a single component definition (in the main grid region) and choosing the Edit » Clone Component command from the main menus.
- Right-clicking over a component definition (in the main grid region), and choosing the Clone Component command from the context menu.
- Selecting a single component definition (in the main grid region) and using the Ctrl+D keyboard shortcut.
After launching the command, the selected component definition will be cloned and the clone will be added to the bottom of the list of definitions.
The clone will be an exact replica of the original source component definition in terms of:
- Targeting the same folder within the target server - the folder in which the original definition exists or targets (if not itself released yet).
- Referencing the same domain models.
- Having the same values for system and user-defined parameters.
It will differ only with respect to:
- Having the next available unique Item ID.
- Being set to be released into the initial revision of a new Component Item (Action set to Create Item).
Once cloned, make any changes as necessary, e.g., to the values of one or more parameters.
- The cloning feature is similar to using the Copy Component and Paste Component commands in sequence. While a quicker means of copying an existing component definition, cloning can only be performed on a single component definition, whereas Copy/Paste Component commands work on multiple definitions.