Effective Date: December 1, 2023
Last Updated: December 1, 2023
PERSONAL DATA WE COLLECT
“Personal Data” is information that identifies, or can reasonably be linked directly or indirectly to, an identifiable person. Depending on your interactions with us, this may include your:
- Identifiers, such as your Altium account information, email address, phone number, and country of residence.
- Commercial information, such as your order history and payment history; order payment information (including bank or credit card details); your product serial license number; feedback, comments, posts, and other content you provide to Altium; and information about your actions on the Altium 365 cloud platform (including login and logout times, objects created and modified, amount of data stored, and new members added).
- Internet or other electronic network activity, such as your IP address, information about your interactions with the Sites and Services (including the type of browser you use, details of the web pages you have viewed, your Cookie ID, links that you have clicked, your internet service provider, websites you visited before arriving at our Sites, files you viewed on our Sites, and other information collected by cookies and tracking devices); social media information you choose to share when visiting our Sites on social media networks such as Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube; hardware and system information about your device related to your use of the Services (including device model, MAC address, operating system, processors, memory, screen resolution, video adapters, and DirectX version); and other information regarding your use of the Services (such as product version, how often you access the Services, how long you use the Services, the features and functions you access within the Services, last session date, and successful and unsuccessful updates).
- Geolocation data, such as non-precise geolocation derived from your IP address.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as information about your company or affiliation.
- Audio or visual information, such as CCTV camera feeds and recordings of customer service calls.
- Inferences, drawn from any of the Personal Data we collect in order to determine your preferences.
- Sensitive Personal Data, such as usernames and passwords associated with your Altium account. Note that we only use Sensitive Personal Data that is subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) for the following purposes: (i) performing services or providing goods reasonably expected by an average consumer; (ii) detecting security incidents; (iii) resisting malicious, deceptive, or illegal actions; (iv) ensuring the physical safety of individuals; (v) for short-term, transient use, including non-personalized advertising; (vi) performing or providing internal business services; (vii) verifying or maintaining the quality or safety of a service or device; or (viii) for purposes that do not infer characteristics about you.
We collect this Personal Data from the following sources:
- Directly from you, such as when you purchase and use the Services, request a software evaluation license, subscribe to our newsletter, participate in surveys, or contact our customer service.
- Cookies and other tracking technologies, such as when you interact with our Sites, as further described in the “Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies” section below.
- Third parties, such as third parties that we partner with to provide products and services to you, social media networks, and, where permitted by law, commercially available sources such as public databases and data aggregators.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Depending on the circumstances, we may use each category of Personal Data that we collect for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the Services you requested and administer the Sites, including to manage payments and create and maintain your Altium account
- To develop and improve the Services and enhance and tailor your experience with the Services by analyzing your use of our Services or asking you to participate in customer research surveys
- To respond to your inquiries, comments, and feedback
- To send marketing communications (e.g., through our newsletter, post, email, SMS, push notification, or phone) to suggest Services, special offers, or promotions that may be of interest to you
- To promote the security of our Services, including by enforcing our Terms of Service
- To protect the health and safety of our personnel, clients, guests, and the general public
- For legal purposes, including to cooperate with public and government authorities, courts, regulators, and law enforcement in accordance with our obligations under applicable law, and exercising and/or defending legal claims
HOW WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may disclose each category of your Personal Data with all of the following categories of recipients:
- Altium Affiliates and Subsidiaries.
- Service Providers, such as companies or individuals that we contract with in order to receive services. This may include, among other things, technology providers, analytics and marketing service providers, payment processors, and customer service providers.
- Other Third Parties, such as social media networks, analytics providers, advertising agencies, advertising networks, and data exchanges.
- For Legal Purposes, such as where we are required to provide Personal Data in response to a court order, subpoena, government investigation, or as otherwise required by law or legal process; to protect the legitimate rights, privacy, property, or interests of Altium, our business partners, personnel, or the general public; to enforce our policies and procedures; and to respond to an emergency.
- Corporate Transactions, such as transfers or re-assignments of your Personal Data in connection with a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of assets, reorganization or liquidation of our company.
COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. If you want to opt-out of receiving interest-based advertising, you can visit the NAI’s Consumer Opt Out page, which will allow you to opt-out of seeing advertisements set by participating NAI members. You may also exercise the choices that appear on the pop-up banner that appears when you visit our Sites, or by clicking the link Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link at the bottom of our Sites.
We use Google Analytics to analyze cookies collected on our Sites. You may access http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, or any other URL Google may provide from time to time, to find out about how Google Analytics uses your data or how to opt out of Google Analytics.
Responding to “Do Not Track” Signals: Some web browsers incorporate a "Do Not Track" ("DNT") feature that signals to websites that a user does not want to have his or her online activity and behavior tracked. At this time, Altium does not recognize or respond to DNT signals.
EMAIL MARKETING OPT-OUT
If you would like to opt out of receiving promotional or marketing e-mail from us, you may use the “unsubscribe” mechanism included in each marketing message. Note that your option not to receive promotional and marketing e-mail shall not preclude us from corresponding with you, by e-mail or otherwise, regarding your existing relationship with us.
CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER INFORMATION FOR INTERNATIONAL VISITORS
If you visit our Sites or use our Services from outside the United States, some of your Personal Data will be transferred to and stored on our servers, some of which may be located in the United States and other countries. Please note that the data protection laws applicable to your Personal Data in the United States and such other countries may differ from the data protection laws in your country. By providing us with your Personal Data and using our Sites or Services, you acknowledge that your Personal Data will be transferred to and processed in the United States and other countries. For personal data of individuals located in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), the United Kingdom (“UK”), or Switzerland, we have taken reasonable steps designed to ensure that an adequate level of data protection is achieved in connection with such transfer, including by conducting such transfers in accordance with an appropriate transfer mechanism such as the Standard Contractual Clauses.
HOW WE RETAIN AND PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will retain your Personal Data until the aforementioned purposes for which we have collected or received your Personal Data have been fulfilled, and once our legal obligations to retain records have expired. We maintain reasonable technical and organizational measures designed to protect the Personal Data you provide to us against loss, misuse, alteration, or destruction.
Our Services are intended for adults and we do not knowingly collect the Personal Data of nor target the Services to children under the age of 16. If Altium learns that a child under the age of 16 has submitted Personal Data, we will take reasonable measures to delete the information and to not use it for any purpose, except where required by law. If you believe a child under 16 has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us at email@example.com.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
EEA, UK, and Swiss residents can contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR EEA, UK, and Swiss RESIDENTS
EEA, UK, and Swiss residents may have the following rights, subject to legal limitations, concerning our collection, use and disclosure of Personal Data:
- Right to Access and Data Portability: The right to confirm whether or not we process Personal Data from you and, where that is the case, to receive your Personal Data in a machine readable format.
- Right to Erasure: The right to request that we delete all or some of your Personal Data.
- Right to Correct: The right to request that we correct your inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data.
- Right to Withdraw Consent: The right to withdraw consent you have previously given to Altium at any time. Your withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of our collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Data prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
- Right to Limit or Restrict: The right to request that we stop using all or some of your Personal Data or to limit our use of such Personal Data.
- Right to Object: The right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to Lodge a Complaint: The right to lodge a complaint about our privacy practices with a Supervisory Authority. You can find contact information for your Supervisory Authority on the European Commission Data Protection Authorities webpage or through other publicly available sources.
You may exercise any of these rights by contacting us at email@example.com. If you choose to exercise any of these rights, Altium will not discriminate against you in any way. If you do exercise certain rights, understand that you may be unable to use or access certain features of Altium’s Services.
Legal Bases: The legal bases we rely on include:
- Performance of a contract. We process Personal Data as necessary to fulfill our obligations under our contract(s) with you, for example, to provide the requested Services to you or complete a transaction.
- Consent. We might ask for your consent to use your Personal Data for certain purposes, including if we need your consent to process certain sensitive information about you or engage in certain marketing activities. You may have the right to withdraw your consent.
- Legitimate interests. We might have a business interest in using your Personal Data for certain justified purposes, including operating, improving, and marketing our business, Sites, and Services.
- Compliance with a legal obligation. We might need to use your Personal Data to comply with legal requirements.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Your Rights: California residents may have the following rights, subject to legal limitations, concerning our collection, use and disclosure of Personal Data:
- Right to Know: The right to request information about the categories of Personal Data we have collected about you, the categories of sources from which we collected the Personal Data, the purposes for collecting the Personal Data, and to whom we have disclosed Personal Data and why. You may also request the specific pieces of Personal Data we have collected about you.
- Right to Delete: The right to request that we delete Personal Data that we have collected from you.
- Right to Correct: The right to request that we correct inaccurate Personal Data that we maintain about you.
- Right to Opt-Out of the Sale or Sharing of Your Personal Data: The right to request that we stop “selling” or “sharing” your Personal Data for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes. To exercise your right with respect to any “sale” or “sharing” of Personal Data automatically collected online through cookies and other tracking technologies, you must click the "Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information" link at the bottom of the Site, de-select “Targeting Cookies” in the preference center, and click “Confirm My Choice.”
You may exercise any of these rights by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at 888-505-6728. If you choose to exercise any of these rights, Altium will not discriminate against you in any way. If you do exercise certain rights, understand that you may be unable to use or access certain features of Altium’s Services.
Verification: To process rights requests, we may need to obtain certain Personal Data from you to locate you in our records or verify your identity depending on the nature of the request, such as your name and email address. In some cases, we may also request a signed declaration that you are who you say you are. We will inform you if we need such additional information.
Authorized Agents: Authorized agents may exercise rights on behalf of California residents by submitting a request via email@example.com and indicating that they are submitting the request as an agent. We will require the agent to demonstrate authority to act on behalf of the resident, such as by providing signed permission from the resident. We may also require the resident to verify their own identity directly with us or to directly confirm with us that they provided the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
Collection and Disclosures of Personal Data: Details about the categories of Personal Data we collected, and the categories of recipients to whom we disclosed Personal Data for a business purpose in the past 12 months are outlined in the “Personal Data We Collect” and “How We Disclose Your Personal Data” sections above. While we do not “sell” your data for money, we engage in routine activities with third parties that may be considered a “sale” or “share” as defined under applicable law. In the past 12 months, we have "sold” or “shared” your Identifiers, Electronic and other network activity information, and Geolocation data (as defined in the “Personal Data We Collect” section above) to “Other Third Parties” (as defined in the “How We Disclose Your Personal Data” section above. Note that we do not knowingly “sell” or “share” the Personal Data of children under the age of 16 or use or disclose sensitive Personal Data for purposes for which you have the right to limit.
Additional California Rights: California Civil Code Section 1798.83 also permits certain California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of certain categories of Personal Data to third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year, and we reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email address specified in the “Contact Us” section.