Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to add a new part to the active component in the current document. This allows for the creation of multi-part components.
This command can be accessed from the Schematic Library Editor, in the following ways:
- Choose Tools » New Part from the main menus.
- Click the button on the Active Bar.
- Click the button on the Utility Tools drop-down () of the Utilities toolbar.
- Right-click and choose Tools » New Part from the context menu.
First ensure that the component that you wish to add a new part to is selected in the Components list in the SCH Library panel (and is therefore the active component in the design window).
After launching the command, a new part is added to the component and a blank sheet for that part is opened and made active in the design window. Use this sheet to add the primitives that will constitute the part's graphical representation.
- The new part will be added underneath the component's entry in the Components list in the SCH Library panel. Either double-click on the component name or click on the tree expander symbol (to the left of the name) to list all associated parts.
- Use the copy and paste commands to copy the contents of a previously created part into the sheet for the newly added part. This can avoid having to place many primitives in a repetitive way, especially if the new graphical representation is a minor modification of an existing one.
- The Schematic Library Editor allows an unlimited number of parts per component and each part may support different graphical representations, through the use of the component-level Alternate Display Mode feature.