The Create New Item dialog
The Create New Item dialog is accessed in the following ways:
- From the Explorer panel by right-clicking in the item grid, choosing Create Item, then selecting one of the available item types (except Component) or the Other Item Type command from the sub-menu.
- From the New Library dialog:
- Choose LIBRARY TYPE 'Workspace'.
- In the Create Library Content drop-down, select Component Template, Footprint or Symbol.
The Create New Item dialog opens with the Content Type selector already chosen for the type you want to create.
- Name – enter the name of the new Item.
- Description – use this field to enter a meaningful description of what is represented by this Item.
- Item ID – the unique ID for this Item. The default format of this ID is defined by the Item Naming Scheme employed for the parent folder. The Item ID cannot be changed after the Item is released.
- Content Type – this field lists the content type. A different content type can be selected from the drop-down menu.
- Share Item – click to open the Share For dialog in which you can specify permissions for this new item.
- Advanced – click to open the advanced version of the dialog to access additional options.
- Folder – the Workspace folder in which this item is stored. Click to open the Choose Folder dialog to select or create a different folder.
- Ancestor Revision – the preceding revision from which this Item is created/branched. Click to open a dialog to navigate to and select an existing revision. Click Clear to remove the current Ancestor Revision.
- Revision Naming Scheme – this field determines the scheme employed when assigning Revision IDs. Use the drop-down to choose from the schemes currently defined for the Workspace. Schemes are defined in the Edit Revision Naming Schemes dialog, which is accessed by clicking on the right side of the field. Since schemes are chosen at the Item-level, you can have different schemes applied to different Items. The chosen Revision Naming Scheme cannot be changed after the Item is released.
- Revision ID – the revision of the Item in accordance with the chosen revision naming scheme. This field is read-only.
- Lifecycle Definition – this field determines which lifecycle definition is used to model the state transitions that an Item-Revision may undergo over time. Use the drop-down to choose from the definitions currently defined for the Workspace. The definitions are defined in the Edit Lifecycle Definitions dialog, which is accessed by clicking on the right side of the field. Since lifecycle definitions are chosen at the Item-level, you can have different definitions applied to different Items. The chosen Lifecycle Definition cannot be changed after the Item is released. The field to the right displays the state of the revision of this Item specified in the Revision ID field. This field is read-only and newly-created Items will always be set to
- Share Revision – click to open the Share For dialog in which you can specify permissions for this new item revision.
- Open for editing after creation – enable to open the new item after clicking OK. Doing so allows you to take advantage of the option to edit and release the associated data entity into the initial revision of that item, after creation. Therefore, instead of creating the source data outside of the Workspace and releasing it, you may start working on the source directly from the moment the empty Item is created, courtesy of direct editing. When that editing is complete, the entity is released into the initial planned revision of its parent Item, and the temporary editor closed.