Parent page: Working with a Managed Content Server
When working with Altium Designer, the target server used to store your managed content is an Altium NEXUS Server.
The Server can be accessed from two places:
This page takes a look at accessing your managed content server from within Altium Designer.
Signing in to Your Server
Sign in to your managed content server from within Altium Designer by clicking the button, at the top-right of the main application window, then choosing the Sign in command from the associated menu. The Sign in to Server dialog will appear, with which to sign in to the target server. Enter the URL for the Server, and your Server access credentials, then click the button.
Signing in to your managed content server (an Altium NEXUS Server) from within Altium Designer.
Checking Sign-in Status
You can check whether you are currently signed in to your managed content server from the following places:
- The current user button (e.g. ), at the top-right of the main application window. This reflects the user that is currently signed in to the active managed content server.
- The current server information - reflected on the menu associated with the current user button. The name of the server to which you are currently signed in is presented, along with its URL. Clicking the entry provides access to browse the content of that server through the Explorer panel.
Verification of being signed in to your managed content server.
- The Data Management - Servers page of the Preferences dialog. When signed in to the Server, that Server will be presented as the Active Server, reflecting that you are both connected to that Server (On) and that it is Active (you are actively signed in to it rather than just connected). Remember that while it is possible to have connections to different Servers (these are listed as Known Servers), you can only be actively signed in to one managed content server through the software at a time.
Once signed in to the target server, it will become the Active Server, as can be seen here.
- The Explorer panel. When signed in, the relevant Server will be available from the menu associated with clicking on the name of the Server currently being browsed.
Browsing the Active Server through the Explorer panel in Altium Designer.
Managing Your Servers
Management of the connections to servers is performed from the Data Management - Servers page of the Preferences dialog. The Servers region of the page is broken down into two areas:
- Active - presenting the active Server to which you are currently connected AND signed in.
- Known Servers - lists all Servers that you are connected to (or have connected to in the past) from that instance of Altium Designer.
Server management is performed through your software preferences.
Typically, you would access one Server for your organization. You can however connect to other servers, for example if your organization does have multiple Altium NEXUS Servers, or if you still had some legacy server technology (e.g. Personal Vault, Satellite Vault). Only one Altium NEXUS Server can be active at any given time. To access another, you would need to sign out from one, and sign in to the other.
In addition, you can connect to the Altium Content Vault - Altium's very own cloud-based managed content server, offering design collateral (including board templates, vendor-specific families of components, as well as generic components including capacitors and resistors). You can even setup the software to automatically connect to this server by enabling the Automatically connect Altium Content Vault option (at the bottom of the Known Servers list).
From Altium Designer, you can still connect to a legacy Altium Personal Vault, or Altium Satellite Vault. Sign out of your active server, then use the Sign in to Server dialog to connect to the Personal Vault or Satellite Vault. Remember that for a Personal or Satellite Vault, you are connecting, not signing in - so the Altium Designer GUI will not show you as being signed in to any server after successful connection to such a vault. You can then sign back in to the Server that was active previously, while continuing to enjoy connection to your Personal and/or Satellite Vault.
Click the Properties control associated with a server to access commands for various aspects of server management. The following is the full list of commands, when accessed for the active server:
- Server - use this command to access the server's browser interface in your default Web Browser.
- Lifecycles - use this command to access the Edit Lifecycle Definitions dialog, with which to manage the defined lifecycles for the server.
- Naming Schemas - use this command to access the Edit Revision Naming Schemes dialog, with which to manage the defined revision naming schemes for the server.
- Operations - use this command to access the Edit Operation Permissions dialog, with which to define and manage global operation permissions for the server.
- Connection - use this command to access the Connection Properties dialog, with which to configure your connection to the server.
Signing into a Server from Different Computers
Support is provided for signing into an Altium NEXUS Server using the same credentials, but from different computers. If you attempt to sign in to a Server that you are already signed into from another computer - either through Altium Designer, or the Server's browser-based interface - a pop-up dialog will alert you to this. You can choose from two options offered in the dialog:
- Terminate existing session - close the existing session that you have on the other computer, and continue to login to the Server from the current computer.
- Start new session - login to the Server from the current computer by using an additional connection license, and thereby keep logged into the Server from the other computer as well.
Signing Out from Your Server
You can sign out from your managed content server from within Altium Designer, in the following ways:
- By clicking the button that displays the currently signed in user (e.g. ), at the top-right of the main application window, then choosing the Sign out command from the associated menu.
- By clicking the Off button, associated to the Active Server, on the Data Management - Servers page of the Preferences dialog. A confirmation dialog will appear - click Yes.
Working in the Server
Related page: Working with the Explorer Panel - Feature How-Tos
Once you are signed-in to your managed content server, you can access and create content. The primary interface to the Server from Altium Designer is the Explorer panel.
To display the Explorer panel:
- Click the button at the bottom-right of Altium Designer, and select Explorer from the menu that appears.
- Click the button that displays the currently signed in user (e.g. ), at the top-right of the main application window, then click the entry for the Server on the associated menu.
- Choose View » Panels » Explorer from the main menus.
When you are working in Altium Designer, you access Server content through the Explorer panel.