Applied Parameters: None
This command launches the IPC Compliant Footprints Batch Generator dialog, that can be used to generate multiple footprints at multiple density levels. The generator reads the dimensional data of electronic components from an Excel spreadsheet or comma delimited file and then applies the IPC equations to build PCB footprints that are truly compliant with Revision B of the IPC standard 7351 - Generic Requirements for Surface Mount Design and Land Pattern Standard.
This command is accessed from the PCB Library Editor by choosing the Tools » IPC Compliant Footprints Batch Generator command, from the main menus.
After launching the command, the IPC Compliant Footprints Batch Generator dialog appears. Use the dialog to add the footprint package files that you need to process, and set generation options as required. The process is summarized as follows:
- Add files to be processed to the list. These can be Excel-based, or CSV-based. Use the Add Files/Remove Files buttons to craft the list, or simply drag and drop files into the list area.
- Specify an output folder for generated output (if generating new PCB Library files as part of the process).
- Use the options to determine how the footprints are generated. All footprints can be generated in the active PCB Library document. Alternatively, generate one PCB Library document per input file (named the same as the input file), or one PCB Library document per footprint name (named using the FootprintName field specified in the file, or using IPC naming if this is blank). Generated library files will be stored in accordance with the nominated Output Folder.
- Optionally, choose to have a HTML-based report created (and optionally opened after processing completes). This lists the date, time, and processing time, along with all the files processed, and any related fatal errors, errors, and warnings.
- If you have opted to generate new PCB libraries, you can also opt to have these opened after generation is complete.
After defining the list of files to be processed and all other options as required, click Start. Processing will proceed, with progress reflected in the dialog. You can cancel at any time by clicking Stop, or Close. Once the generation of all footrpints has finished, click Close to leave the dialog, and enjoy the fruits of the generator's labor.
- All dimensions are entered into the Wizard in metric (mm) units.
- Consult the legends in the underlying Excel templates (accessed from the Open Template menu in the IPC Compliant Footprints Batch Generator dialog), for the current data sets for each of the supported packages. The templates for package type files are located in the \ProgramData\Altium\Altium Designer <GUID>\Extensions\IPC Footprint Generator\Templates folder, for a default installation of the IPC Footprint Generator extension. Use these as a basis for creating the package files to 'feed' into the generator.
- To quickly generate a single IPC-compliant footprint, use the IPC Compliant Footprint Wizard.