Applied Parameters: None
This command is used to place a region object onto the active Draftsman document (*.PCBDwf). A region is a closed polygonal shape with fill options.
This command can be accessed from the PcbDrawing Editor by:
- Choosing the Place » Region command from the main menus.
- Locating and using the Region command () on the Active Bar.
- Clicking the entry on the Graphical Tools drop-down () of the Drawing Annotations toolbar.
- Right-clicking in the workspace and choosing the Place » Region command from the context menu.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair and you will enter region placement mode. Placement is made by performing the following sequence of actions:
- Position the cursor and click to anchor the starting vertex for the region.
- Position the cursor and click to anchor the second vertex.
- Continue to move the mouse and click to place further vertices to define the polygonal shape of the region.
- After placing the final vertex, either:
- Right-click to close and complete placement of the region. There is no need to manually close the region as the software will automatically complete the shape by connecting the start point to the final point placed. You will exit placement mode.
- Press Esc to close and complete placement of the region. There is no need to manually close the region as the software will automatically complete the shape by connecting the start point to the final point placed. You will remain in placement mode - continue placing further regions, or right-click, or press Esc, to exit placement mode.
When placing a new vertex, use the Shift+Spacebar keyboard shortcut to cycle through the following line options:
- 90° corner.
- 45° corner.
- Curved 90° corner.
- Curved 45° corner.
- Direct/straight line (default)
Press the Spacebar to toggle the corner direction of a line during its placement.
- Placement will observe snapping options for the document, if enabled. Snapping can be defined in the General section of the Properties panel (set to present the Document Options, when no objects are selected in the workspace).
- A region can be graphically modified after placement. Click on its boundary to select it - editing handles will appear at the vertices and center of each side. For more information, see the Graphical Editing section of the Region page.
- Most aspects of a placed region are available for editing through the Properties panel. If the panel is already open, simply select a placed region to populate the panel with its associated properties. If the panel is not open, double-click on the region to access it.
- Defaults for this primitive type can be defined on the Draftsman - Defaults page of the Preferences dialog.