A Region is a closed shape object that can be placed on a Draftsman document sheet to indicate a specific area in a drawing. The Region object shape can include angle-based curved lines, and a solid color or ANSI pattern fill.
A placed Region shape with ANSI fill
To place a Region, select Place » Region or click the button from the graphic tools drop-down of the Active Bar.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair and the editor will enter Region placement mode. Placement is made by performing the following sequence of actions:
- Click to place the first vertex of the Region shape.
- Move the cursor then click to place the second vertex of the Region shape.
- Continue to place further region vertices to complete the Region shape.
- After the final vertex is placed, right-click or press Esc to complete the Region shape back to the first-placed vertex. There is no need to manually close the region as the software will automatically complete the shape by connecting the start point to the final point placed.
Straight lines will be drawn between each vertex as they are placed, however, the Shift+Spacebar shortcut can be used to cycle through other line options such as a 90° corner, 45° corner, curved 90° corner, or curved 45° corner. Once an option is selected, use the Spacebar to toggle the direction of the corner.
► Region placement options demonstration.
This method of editing allows a placed Region object to be selected in the design space and graphically edit its size, shape or location.
Select a Region by clicking on its fill or outline. Once selected, editing handles/nodes are available at each of the shape's vertices:
A selected Region shape is edited by dragging line or vertex nodes.
- Drag (click+hold+move) any part of the Region, but not a node, to reposition it on the document.
- Drag a corner vertex node to move it to a new location and alter the Region shape.
- Drag the center mark of a line to move that line in the perpendicular (maintaining its angle), to a new location.
- Ctrl+drag a node to delete it from the shape or press Delete while dragging a node to delete it from the shape.
- Ctrl+drag on a line, but not its center mark, to add a new node.