Applied Parameters: Mode=Cut_Rooms
This command is used to slice one or more rooms into two or more separate rooms.
This command can be accessed from the PCB Editor by:
- Choosing the Design » Rooms » Slice Room command from the main menus.
- Clicking the button on the Place Room drop-down () of the Utilities toolbar.
The slicer will only work provided the current layer is the layer on which the room to be sliced resides. Therefore, first ensure that the correct layer is made the current layer.
After launching the command, the cursor will change to a cross-hair and you will enter slice mode (which is essentially line placement mode). To slice a room:
- Starting outside the boundary of the room, click or press Enter to anchor the starting point for the slicing line (the first track segment).
- Move the cursor to define the track segment then click or press Enter to anchor the end point for this first segment, which is also the start point for the next connected segment.
- Continue to position the cursor then click or press Enter to anchor a series of vertex points that define the series of connected track segments.
- Once the slicing line has been placed across and out the other side of the room, right-click or place Esc to terminate line placement.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to slice the same room or another room, as required.
- When you have finished all required slicing, right-click or press Esc to terminate slicing - a Confirm dialog will appear asking if you wish to split x rooms into y rooms. Click Yes to effect the split(s) - the affected room(s) will be graphically redrawn with a corresponding Room Definition Rule associated with any new room, and an Online DRC performed automatically if needed.
While placing track segments there are five available corner modes, four of which also have corner direction sub-modes. During placement:
- Press Shift+Spacebar to cycle through the five available corner modes: 45 degrees, 45 degrees with arc, 90 degrees, 90 degrees with arc, and Any Angle.
- Press Spacebar to toggle between the two corner direction sub-modes.
- When in either of the arc corner modes, hold the or keys to shrink or grow the arc. Hold the Shift key as you press to accelerate arc resizing.
- Press the 1 shortcut key to toggle between placing one segment per click (the first five images below), or two segments per click (the last image in the set below). In the first mode, the hollow track segment is referred to as the look-ahead segment.
- Press the Backspace key to remove the last vertex.
Press Shift+Spacebar to cycle through the five available corner modes, press Spacebar to toggle the corner direction, press the 1 shortcut to
toggle placement between one segment or two segments.
If the original room was associated with and contained components that were members of a component class, a newly generated room that inherits one or more of these components will not have a new component class created and assigned to it. Therefore, the components in this new room will still be members of the original component class. To have the components made members of a new component class as part of a slice, use the Smart Slice Room feature.