Applied Parameters: Mode=BodyMaker|ContextObject=Component
This command allows you to manage the 3D bodies for the component currently under the cursor (in your PCB design), or the active component (in your PCB library), all from a single location - negating the need to pop open the Properties panel for each 3D Body. A 3D body is a primitive polygonal design object that is placed on any mechanical layer, and used to represent the 3 dimensional shape of the physical component that is mounted on the assembled PCB. Any number of 3D body objects can be used together to create complex shapes. The available 3D body shapes include extruded polygon, cylinder and sphere. Typically they are placed into a PCB library 2D component footprint, but can be placed within the PCB Editor. Their overall shape is displayed when the editor is switched to 3D display mode. In addition, an external 3D model can be embedded, or linked to, with the 3D Body becoming simply a container for that model.
This command can be accessed from the PCB Editor, and PCB Library Editor:
- PCB Editor - right-click over a placed component and choose the Component Actions » Manage 3D Bodies command from the context menu.
- PCB Library Editor - choose the Tools » Manage 3D Bodies for Current Component command from the main menus.
After launching the command, the Component Body Manager dialog will appear. The dialog provides the options and controls for managing just the 3D bodies for the chosen component (or active library component). Use it to see which 3D bodies are currently being used in the component, and which are not. Bodies can be added to and/or removed from, the component as required. Bodies can be of three distinct types:
- A purposefully placed 3D Body (referred to as a Component Body in its description).
- A rectangular shape automatically created by the software from a bounding rectangle.
- An enclosed polygonal shape automatically created by the software from design primitives.
You can also modify other properties for a body, such as heights, body projection, registration layer, and color and opacity.
Once the 3D bodies for the component have been defined as required, clicking the Close button will effect the changes.
- The Component Body Manager allows fast management of the 3D Bodies used in a component, and modification of various attributes, but does not provide a means by which to change the type of 3D Model used in a 3D Body. For this, you will need to explicitly access the Properties panel - which presents the properties for the currently selected object - for each body being used in the component.