Applied Parameters: Action = BreakPolyline
This command is used to break a segment of a polyline object (wire, bus, or signal harness) into two pieces at a chosen location on the schematic sheet.
This command is accessed from the Schematic Editor by choosing the Edit » Break Wire command, from the main menus.
After launching the command, the cursor will appear in accordance with settings defined for the Cutter Box, and Extremity Markers, on the Schematic - Break Wire page of the Preferences dialog.
Position the cursor over the segment of wire, bus, or signal harness that you want to effectively break into two and click, or press Enter. The indicated length of segment will be removed, thereby breaking the segment into two.
Continue breaking further polyline objects, or right-click, or press Esc, to exit.
While in break wire mode, press the Spacebar to cycle through the following cutting length modes:
- Snap To Segment - in this mode, the cutter will auto-size to snap to an entire polyline segment.
- Snap Grid Size Multiple - in this mode, the cutter is sized to a defined multiple of the current snap grid.
- Fixed Length - in this mode, the cutter is sized to a defined fixed length.
- Regardless of the size of cutter, with options other than Snap To Segment, the cutter will shrink to accommodate smaller-sized wire segments in their entirety - as it passes over them - as though Snap To Segment were selected.
- Properties for the cutting tool can be defined on the Schematic - Break Wire page of the Preferences dialog. Values modified at the local document level will be instantly reflected back at the preferences level.
- You can also remove selected wire segments (not segments of bus or signal harness objects) with the tap of the Delete key, with auto-junctions also accounted for - allowing you to remove a segment of a wire up to that junction only (and including that junction if only two other wire segments would otherwise remain connected to it). Simply click twice (with a pause in between) on a particular segment of wire to select it, denoted by its end-point editing handes turning red. You can delete multiple segments across different wires, ensure that each is selected (Shift+click twice on each subsequent segment to include it in the overall segment selection).